Thanks

Logon Mail Notification (XPP)

When I power up my computer and get the logon screen, I am greeted with a "you have x unread e-mail messages" beneath my name. I do not have OL or OE, but I do have a throwaway hotmail account to which this is apparently referring.

Is there a manner in which to disable this notification? Or is anyone aware of a reg fix for such?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Logon Mail Notification (XPP)

Try TweakUI for XP. I know ya like reg hacks but I'm too lazy to find out which key it's changing.
    -Mark

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

One sure way Bruce is to ditch MSN messenger. There are dozens of ways, but I like the way Doug Knox does it here. This is the post and the link on 9/26. I did this and I never saw messenger again or that notification. That notification is mediated through MSN Messenger. You can grab a new messenger any time you want it Windows Messenger 4.7 for Windows XP.

Tweak UI will do it as Mark says. And here's the reg hack to do it with a warm cup of milk before bed. You can also disable the MSN Add-In (Tools, Ad-Ins, MSN).
    __________________________________________________ __________________________
    HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVe rsionUnreadMail
    Open the subfolder with your e-mail detail, then look for the REG_DWORD
    "Message Count", and change this to 0 (zero)
    __________________________________________________ __________________________

Finally, you can also do it from Group Policy edtior, typing "gpedit.msc" in the run box on XP Pro, and enable the disable under Messenger, but I find every time I've tried this it freezes up Hotmail, maxing out CPU--and keeps you from opening some emails, so I never do it this way. It's an often mentioned suggestion on the MSN newsgroups and doesn't work well.

defrag

Thanks

Frag ~

Thanks for the fix! That works perfect and was so simple. I went and deleted the entire "Unread" key and it works perfect!