New Lounger
    Thanks

Word not closing properly (9.0 3821 SR-1)

Good morning, I am experiencing problems with Word 2000 on several PC's running the same image. All problems are common to each PC.
    Two problems are associated:
    1. using the "find" tool in Word opens another instance of Word with no document open. This was solved momentarily by deleting data and options registry keys, deleting normal.dot. Reappeared after opening Word normally.
    2. IE 6.0 - opening a doc from a website opens another instance of Word with "read only" showing on toolbar. This does not happen when Word is opened first with winword /a command. Does not happen when opening files with Netscape 7.0

Both problems seem to be related as each coincided with numerous instances of winword.exe showing in Task Manager processes, telling me that Word is also not closing properly.

I have:
    Deleted all Normal.dot files
    Deleted data and options registry keys for current user
    Uninstalled/Reinstalled Office
    Uninstalled/Reinstalled IE 6, problem also exists with IE 5.
    Am leaning toward Macro problems that load with normal.dot / add-ins but am not finding information on solving the problem.

Will greatly appreciate any help !
    Thanks

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Word not closing properly (9.0 3821 SR-1)

Hi Dave:
    I'm not sure that I can help except to say that you seem to have isolated the problem to add-ins. As far as another instance of Word, if I have Find/Replace open & close the last document, only Word shows on the taskbar, but I can Alt+tab between Word & Find/Replace. If that's what you mean, I think that's normal in Word. This also occurs when I have one or more documents open.

You've probably already checked for this, but you should reboot & then delete all your temp files, the
    ~*.*,*.tmp
    files.

You can look in your two startup folders & take all the add-ins out & put them in one at a time to see if they make a difference in opening the doc. Also, if you have any AutoExec macros attached to the normal.dot, you could rename normal.dot & see what affect that has.

New Lounger
    Thanks

I can open a document, go to edit-find and a new Word "shell" will open without any document. the find function will attempt a "find" on that shell. There are no menus nor icons on this shell document.
    When I close the "Shell", I can see several open processes in Task Manager, depending on how many docs I have opened. Closing docs will not end process.
    Have deleted and recreated normal.dot. No change.
    Have deleted temp files.

Will attempt the macro loading that you suggested.
    Thanks for the ideas.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Dave:
    Does the problem remain if you start Word at the command line (Start/Run & type

winword.exe /a

to start Word). That would start Word without any add-ins. If you still had the problem, I'm at a loss, but it's a good place to start.