New Lounger
    Thanks

Hiding Part of a cell's contents

Someone in the office swears he was shown a way -- of course he can't remember now -- of entering a value in a cell that contained a formula without losing the formula, but without the formula being calculated or visible in the cell (although it would be visible in the formula bar). That is, in a cell containing the formula =2*4, he is saying he could edit the cell to put the value 25 in front of the formula followed by a mystery character that would hide the formula in the cell so the cell would read 25, but the formula bar would read 25?=2*4. In addition, he says that the value of 25 in the cell would be a number, not text and thus be could be referenced in other formulas. I've never heard of this, but I'm willing to learn....

Thanks!

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Hiding Part of a cell's contents

There may be another way, but here is the best way I could come up with:

If the cell contains =2*4, then:

1- Put a single quote in front of the Equal sign
    2- Press the End key to move the cursor to the end of the formula
    3- Hold the Alt key down and press Enter
    4- Type what you want to display
    5- Make sure that the cell height is only enough to display one line.
    Legare Coleman

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Actually, I just figured out a second way that may be a little closer to what you wanted:

1- Select the cell
    2- Select Cells from the Format menu and click on the Alignment tab
    3- In the Vertical alignment drop down list select "Top" and click OK
    4- In the cell, type 25 in front of the equal sign and then hold down Alt and press Enter

Very similarf to my previous post, but a little easier.
    Legare Coleman

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Are you and your colleague sure that is not the other way round, i.e the Cell shows 25 =2*4 whilst the formula bar just shows 25. (That can be achieved by formatting the number as # "=2*4". If you enter 25 =2*4 into a cell it cannot evaluate to 25 except by using something like =LEFT(x,2) where x is the cell containing the expression.

Maybe there is a character that tells Excel to disregard anything that follows it, but what exactly would be the point?. Unless it could be a way of inserting a comment, before the introduction of comments as we now know them. Perhaps a remnant from Lotus 123 for DOS!. If it can be done then somebody must know.

Andrew C

New Lounger
    Thanks

My coworker insists he simply typed some kind of character as a separator between the the number and the formula and that formula would be hidden in the cell and the number would still evaluated as a number. Although Legare's suggestion can be used to display the number while hiding the formula, the number is not evaluated as a number.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Well we should find this hidden character, it would be a nice way of putting a reminder into a cell. I am sure that if it does exist somebody will let us know.

AC

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Are you sure your collegue was talking about Excel and not Quattro Pro? In QP you can enter a semicolon after a value in a cell then enter something else and only the value will be visible in the cell but everything will be visible in the formula bar.

New Lounger
    Thanks

No, it was Excel. We've never used Quattro Pro.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

It seems if you enter:

=2 + n("1+1")
    in a cell all that will appear in the cell will be the 2, everything will be visible in the formula bar and the cell will still be accepted as a number, capable of being used in formulas. It's pretty neat.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

N is a function which returns a value for numerical data and 0 for text data. So therefore N("1+1") = 0, which makes 2 + N("1+1") = 2 (i.e. 2 + 0). If you rfemove the parentheses from "1+1", the expression returns a value of 4. So while it may look interesting it is effectively the same as entering = 2 + 0, hence it does not really qualify.

Andrew C

New Lounger
    Thanks

Actually this does accomplish what my coworker was looking for, being able to preserve an existing formula in a cell without it being calculated while at the same time plugging in a different value that could be used in other calculations that referenced the cell. By using the N function you can retain the text of the original formula for posterity, and play some what-if scenarios with other values. Good job!

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

I understood that a mystery character was involved that allowed the following to exist in a cell and return a numerical value : - 25? = 2*4 where ? is a mystery character - not quiet the same as the N() function, which incidentally is calculated in the above formula, it just happens to evaluate to 0. Change the + sign to * and you will see what I mean. =25 + 0*(2*4) achieves much the same thing. Pity there is no mystery character [img]/w3timages/icons/sad.gif[/img]

AC

New Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry about the mystery character turning out to be a dry hole, but I was going on someone's else vague memory.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Dry Hole

No problem Tim, there is always something to be learnt even from a dry hole as you put it. It was worth the excursion - at least the N() function has a use after all (though the same effect could be achieved without it). Now can you come up with a good use for the T() function ? [img]/w3timages/icons/dizzy.gif[/img]

regards,

Andrew C