New Lounger
    Thanks

Inventory Database (Office 2000)

After reading some of the other post, what I started with was using the Access database wizard to create my initial database. Well, I was using the auto-number field to be my inventory number for equipment. However I have deleted some records. My question is how can I go about using Access to have my database where it will automatically increase my inventory # every time I have a new entry, and will not allow duplicates? Should it be a text field or a number field? Also I had the ideas of using my company's initials within the inventory number, so that when I get my destructible inventory labels it will have the KSA#000001 for the number, with a corresponding barcode, which will be used for future use?

Any help or suggestions is appreciated.
    Thanks

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Inventory Database (Office 2000)

You might want to use an AutoNumber anyway to have a unique number to identify each record.

If you want to use consecutive inventory numbers, you can do this using code in a form. You have to make sure that your users will only be adding records using this form. They should never open tables or queries directly.

You can add another field to your table to be used as inventory number; it can be numeric (long integer) or text. Put a unique key on this field, so that duplicates are not allowed.

Create another table tblInvNum with just one field InventoryNumber of type numeric (long integer). Create one record in it, with the number 0 in the InventoryNumber field.

In the BeforeInsert event of the form, use code like the following (it uses DAO, so you need to set a reference to the Microsoft DAO ... Object Library in Tools/References...):

Private Sub Form_BeforeInsert(Cancel As Integer)
    Dim InvNum As Long
    Dim dbs As DAO.Database
    Dim rst As DAO.Recordset

On Error GoTo Err_Sub

Set dbs = CurrentDb
    Set rst = dbs.OpenRecordset("tblInvNum")
    With rst
    InvNum = !InventoryNumber + 1
    .Edit
    !InventoryNumber = InvNum
    .Update
    End With

' USE ONE OF THESE:
    ' If InventoryNumber is numeric
    Me.InventoryNumber = InvNum
    ' If it is text
    Me.InventoryNumber = "KSA" & Format(InvNum, "000000")

Exit_Sub:
    On Error Resume Next
    rst.Close
    Set rst = Nothing
    Set dbs = Nothing
    Exit Sub

Err_Sub:
    MsgBox Err.Description, vbExclamation
    Resume Exit_Sub
    End Sub

This may seem like a lot of code to accomplish something simple. This way, the chance of conflicts in a multi-user situation are minimal.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Hans

Great solution

If the operator adds the inventory, then deletes it, would you put similar code in Form_BeforeDelete to decrement InvNum?

John

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I've never encountered a need to do this - in general numbers are disposable, and missing gaps aren't a big deal. In some systems, we don't allow deletes in any circumstance, just for auditability. In those cases we put a deleted flag in the record, but we don't reuse identification numbers.
    Wendell

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

NO! Wendell already commented on this. There is a very good reason *not* to decrement InvNum when an item is deleted:

Suppose the current value of InvNum is 999. Operator A creates a new inventory item; InvNum is incremented to 1000 and the new item is assigned number 1000. Next, Operator B creates a new item before A has deleted item# 1000; InvNum is incremented to 1001 and Bs item is assigned number 1001. Now Operator A decides that a mistake was made, and deletes item# 1000. If InvNum were to be decremented to 999, the next inventory item to be created would be assigned number 1000 (no conflict there), and the next one after that number 1001 - conflict, since number 1001 has already been given out to B's item! If InvNum were to be decremented to 1000, the conflict would occur immediately when a new item is created...