Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Rules and From line (6.00.2800.1106)

How can I get the "Rules" in OE to recognize the 'simple name' that appears in the email "From" line and not the actual email address???

For example:
    I want all advertisements to go into an Advertisements folder. My wife gets email from "eToys.com" -- that is EXACTLY what the "From" line says when you view it in the Inbox. Now I want all email from eToys.com to go directly into my Advertisements folder.

So, I select the message and choose to "Create Rule From Message". I check "Where the from line contains people". Now the From line option that I have been given is no longer "eToys.com" -- instead it has been changed to "etoys reply2+660524....". If I procede with this, the Rule does not work -- because the next eToys.com email has a different "reply2+number" and OE does not recognize it.

Can I just enter in "eToys.com" (the short name) and have OE recognize all the email from them??? I hope this makes sense. Thanks.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Rules and From line (6.00.2800.1106)

the best way to find out is to try it... FWIW, i do it that way in news rules.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Rules and From line (6.00.2800.1106)

Yes! In fact I don't use the 'create rule from message' at all, just create a new rule, tick 'from contains' and type in the details required.

One of OE's far-and-away-better-than-Outlook bits is this, extremely flexible, part of rules - you don't even have to put in an address, just a clip of it. In your example, just putting 'etoys' in would work (although it would pick up anything from, eg 'chrometoys' or 'gametoys' too) - so you sometimes need to apply a little creative thinking to make sure you get exactly what you wanted. In this case I would put in '@etoys.com' to ensure no other names get caught up in it.

You can also add as many other items to the same rule as you want - I have a rule called 'delete' which has literally dozens of sender, subject and message clips in it, messages containing any of which are sent straight to 'Deleted items', marked as read, so I never even know I received them.
    Beryl M