Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Shared CD Drive (XPP SR1)

On an XPP computer I have setup a share on a CD drive that uses Direct CD. When I try to access this drive from a Win 98 SE machine it shows up in the
    H Lewton

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Re: Shared CD Drive (XPP SR1)

What's the error on the blue screen?

Joe
    Joe

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

It's been sometime ago since I had Direct CD installed, but it seems to me that once that drive is "booted up" as a "Direct CD" drive, it's only usable on the computer that contains the Direct CD software. I wouldn't want to swear to that, so you should go do some reading at the Roxio site or the docs, whichever is more convenient.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry, I think I was wrong, so your problem is not "solved!" I just read the following in the Direct CD FAQ at the Roxio site:
    <hr>Q. Does DirectCD work on a network?
    A. Yes, under Windows, you can share your drive with other users on the network. To these other users, the drive looks like any other local drive. A user at another computer on the network can drag & drop, copy, save, etc. to the DirectCD drive just like any other drive or volume on the network. DirectCD does not currently support recording over a network under Windows NT.
    <hr>

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Al & Joe,

Thanks, I thought I had read that it could be shared. I don't know the exact error message but I'll try to repeat it and report back. I just know it locks those Win 98 machines up and they have to be rebooted.
    H Lewton

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Joe,

I have 2 Win 98 SE computers on this network along with the XPP computer that has the shared Direct CD drive on it. Below are the error messages I got today when trying it again.

A fatal exception 0E has occurred at 0028-C0277B19 in VXD VREDIR(03)
    * 0002B19. The current application will be terminated.

* Press any key to terminate the current application.

* Press CTRL-ALT-DEL again to restart your computer. You will lose any unsaved information in all applications.

Press any key to continue.

The other Win 98 SE computer's error message is all the same except for this;
    A fatal exception 0E has occurred at 0028-C027E182 in VXD VVM(06) + 00002182.

Thanks.
    H Lewton

Administrator
    Thanks

hlewton, Here's a KB article that may shed some light. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...261927&FR=1. If that does not apply then try to find a way to get the latest version of vredir for win98se. There's several other KB articles that mention fatal exceptions fixed by versions of VREDIR that you must contact MS support to get.

Joe
    Joe

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Joe,

Thanks but I have Direct CD's very latest version and I am still getting the fatal errors. Maybe I can post a question at Roxio's site since the problem was supposed to have been corrected with their latest version of Direct CD.
    H Lewton

Administrator
    Thanks

hlewton, Are the Win98 machines up-to-date as far as windows update is concerned? You could try to contact MS support for the latest version of VREDIR.VXD. I saw version 4.10.2230 dated 30-mar-2001 in article:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...293793&LN=EN-US. You might have to do some serious talking to avoid charges for a support call but maybe not.

JOe
    Joe

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Joe,

Thanks for your help. I will have to study this link because its not immediately obvious to me what MS is talking about. That isn't at all surprising because I don't understand a lot about what they talk about.

As far as my machines being kept up to date, I always visit and install the Windows updates from the Windows Update site. I really don't do much beyond that except to install all the security updates that I get notified about from Microsoft.

I will check out your link again and see if I can determine if they are talking about my problems even though the error message isn't exactly the same as the one I get.

Thanks.
    H Lewton

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Joe,

From all I can figure out this link really doesn't apply to my situation. Last night I posted questions both in MS's forums and Roxio's but there have been no answers. I guess I'll just set up a folder to use to transfer files to the Direct CD drive.
    H Lewton

Administrator
    Thanks

hlewton, I didn't mean to imply that the article applied to your situation. Only meant to show that there is an updated version of VREDIR available and that with some talking to MS support you could get it. Maybe even without a charge if you are a smooth talker.

Joe
    Joe

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Joe,

Thanks, I did understand you about contacting MS but I thought there might be something in the article that would help me. I have posted a request as to how to get the updated VREDIR at one of MS
    H Lewton

Administrator
    Thanks

hlewton, Fixes posted on the update site usually have gone through fairly extensive regression testing. So, if MS has created a fix to correct a problem they do not think afftects very many clients the fix may not have gone through extensive enough testing to be posted on the update site especially with an older OS. Good luck finding an updated version. Hope the MS newsgroup comes through. There are some very knowledgable people there.

Joe
    Joe

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Joe,

Thanks for all the help. I'm not getting any answers from either MS or Roxio's boards. I guess I'll just create a folder and transfer the files to the XPP computer first. That is only one extra step.
    H Lewton

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast