5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Locked record (Access 97)

We have a multi-user database that on occassion gives us this error - The Microsoft Jet database engine stopped the process because you and another user are attempting to change the same data at the same time. What i have been doing is opening a backup copy of the database and copying in another copy of the form. The copied in form works fine but I am accumulating a lot of forms. This is the third time I have done this. Is there something that needs set in the database to prevent this from happening?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Locked record (Access 97)

When Access thinks that the design of a form has changed, it will try to save the form when the user closes it. When multiple users have a form open, this causes a conflict. The design change can be something simple, like setting a filter or changing the sort order in the form.

This problem doesn't occur if you make the database into an .mde database, or if you apply database security, so that standard users can't modify the design of forms.

If .mde or database security are not an option, you might try the following:
    <UL><LI>Set the border style of forms to Dialog, so that they can't be maximized.
    <LI>Try to prevent users from inadvertently saving (the design of) a form, by not showing the standard menus and toolbars.
    <LI>Prevent users from closing a form except by using a "Close" command button. I use a Boolean variable for this (see <post#=166577>post 166577</post#> - it has an attached example of this).
    <LI>Use the following code behind the "Close" button to close the form without saving it:
    DoCmd.Close acForm, Me.Name, acSaveNo[/list]This may help preventing the error you got. But remember that Access 97 is very sensitive to network hiccups. Also, try to avoid Memo and OLE fields if possible - they are notorious causes of corruption.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Locked record (Access 97)

I don't understand. Are you having to replace a form because it becomes corrupted or are you adding copies of the same form so different people can use them? Access 97 uses page locking, which means that if the records being edited by different people occupy the same 2k page, they'll get this error. You can also get it if you have a form and subform hooked to the same query and make a change on the subform then try to make a change to the parent form from code. More detail might help pinpoint the problem.
    Charlotte