New Lounger
    Thanks

Pivot Table Error Message (2000 SR-2)

I have created a fairly large pivot table to access data from our UNIX central machine (if you can believe it). The pivot table works great and everybody likes to use it and likes to move columns to the page header from the columns etc. Unfortunately, we often get the message, "Microsoft Excel cannot make this change because there are too many row or column items. Drag at least one row or column field off the Pivot Table or to the page position. Alternatively, right click a field, and then click Hide or Hide Levels on the shortcut menu."

I would be grateful to hear from anyone with suggestions as to how to design the pivot table to avoid this error message or make any changes necessary to the setup to avoid the message. I have been unable to find any specific information on specifically what the limits are that create this error message.

Many thanks in advance.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Pivot Table Error Message (2000 SR-2)

I use pivot tables a lot in my job and I am familiar with this message. Basically, there is a limit to the number of items that Excel will place in either a row or a column field. The only remedy if you exceed these limits is to convert one or more row/column fields into page fields. Here is a link to the Microsoft Technet website that shows their Knowledge Base article "Limits of Pivot Tables in Microsoft Excel 2000":

http://linkURLhttp://support.microsoft.com...US;Q211517& .

I can tell you from experience that I have pivot tables that generate that message in Excel 2000, but the same tables run fine in Excel XP.

Basically, your choices are: (1) reduce the number of row/column fields in your table; (2) use page fields wherever possible instead of row/column fields; (3) upgrade to XP.

Good luck,

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Pivot Table Error Message (2000 SR-2)

Dear George - Many thanks for your kind response. I will try out your theory on my laptop which runs Office XP. I have read the various MS knowledge base articles including the one you mention. What is odd to me is that I cannot believe I am close to the 32k limit described in the MS articles. I guess I'll have to count every cell instance now.

Many thanks, TMS