New Lounger
    Thanks

same directory in two shares?

Is there a way to make the same directory appear as a folder within two different shares? We're getting ready to migrate people from one server to another, and I have an odd requirement. I've got an application that needs to see it's data on W:FAXCO. Problem is that this is within a structure on the old server that isn't duplicated on the new server, which has a different structure.

I looked at shortcuts, but they don't recurse like folders. I looked at mount points, but they require a separate partition and only let you mount into one existing share. I need to have two separate shares, Applications and OldApps, and within each one everything needs to be different, except that both need to contain THE SAME FAXCO FOLDER. Obviously, one or both appearances will be some kind of link or redirect.

Can anyone suggest how to do this?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: same directory in two shares?

Have you tried using reparse points? These will only work on NTFS, so I'm hoping that's what you are using.
    -Mark

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: same directory in two shares?

It's easier than you might think. I stumbled across the option about a month ago. Just to be clear, you want one folder or drive with two share names, right? Establish the first share name. I presume you have already done this step so just move on to step 2. Right click the folder you want to share, and click Properties. Click the Sharing tab. Now click the button labeled New Share. Don't be fooled! The button isn't there until one share name is established. This is divergent from Microsoft's standard interface. Normally this would be grayed out. I suppose I can understand how that would be confusing having both a Share This Folder and New Share options on the same properties window.