Star Lounger
    Thanks

Pictures??? (2000)

I'm trying to insert a JPG picture into a cell. I then run a query from Excel and it pulls all the data except the picture. WHY....WHY????? I have a specially formatted Excel spreadsheet, that is why data sheets will ot work.

Thanks

Trent

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Pictures??? (2000)

I think we may need some more details.

Is the picture inserted into the database or linked?
    If you just run the query in Access is the picture shown as part of the result?
    David Grugeon
    Brisbane Australia

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

However, I have tried it and cannot get a cell in Excel to hold a picture. If you insert a picture in excel it appears to sit in a drawing layer over the cell layer. This may make it impossible to do what you want except by excel code which would import the pictures and position them over the relevant cells. (Sounds complicated),

However others may have better ideas.
    David Grugeon
    Brisbane Australia

Star Lounger
    Thanks

In Access I have that column set as OLE objects and I insert them not linked. The picture does not show up...It says Microsoft Photo Editor 3.0. I agree Excel does not insert the pic into the cell, it is on a sperate layer. Any other ideas??? These files change every week and right now the people that use these files are cutting and pasting everything in Excel....Not easy, there are like 400+ names numbers and pics. Any other suggestions would be greatly appeciated.

Thanks again,
    Trent

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Storing pictures in a database as OLE objects is *not* a good idea. It will cause the size of your database to increase tremendously. It is generally advised to store pictures as separate files, and to store their path+file name in the database.
    If you do a search for "picture" or "image" in this Forum, you'll find lots of threads dealing with this subject. For example, Charlotte has posted a sample database in <post#=126927>post 126927</post#> that demonstrates the techniques you can use.