New Lounger
    Thanks

Fanthom Forms! (2000)

I am working on a database originally created in 97 which worked fine. When we upgraded to XP, I opened the db and it upgraded to 2000 instead of 2002 (most likely an oversight on my part as I am not all that knowledgeable on Access). My problem is as follows: Since upgrading to 2000, the db seems to crash while working on a specific form. All other forms work fine except that one. I have checked the VB code and have had someone else check it as well just in case, but neither I nor any of my programmer coworkers can find something wrong with it.

My second problem is that I have tried creating a new form, this one directly in Access using the Wizard and although I am able to add all the desired fields from various tables and then modify them as needed, while in Form view, the form is blank (and I mean totally blank! no fields, no labels, nothing) but is ok in design view.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Fanthom Forms! (2000)

When the form crashes do you get an error message? Do you get a debug option? Can you post the line of code that it crashes at?

The blank form sounds like it has no records. In design view, bring up properties box, look at the data source property of the form (which will be a query or sql statement). Open the query and see if
    1: there are any records in it, and
    2: whether there is a blank row at the bottom.
    If the data source has no records and doesn't allow you to add records then the form will be blank .
    Regards
    John

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the quick response!

The only error message I get is the one from Microsoft asking me whether I would like to send them a report. As for sending the line of code, I can't seem to be able to launch VB from this specific db anymore as it crashes as well upon launching.

The data source is a table with lots of data. I have just tried to trick it into working (it seems to be working so far but I would be hard pressed to explain why!). Since my form is created using 3 tables - 2 of these tables provide only 1 field each while the other provides 12 fields - I have tried creating the form with only the table which contains the 12 fields and then adding the other 2 fields manually. So far so good however I doubt this would be considered an efficient way of doing things.

I have also tried the repair function available in Tools... to no avail. Is it just me or is Access XP bugged beyond belief?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

If the form is created from 3 tables, then the data source is not a table but a query. Just because the main table has lots of records doesn't mean the query has.

Does XP provide an option to convert your db from 2000 to xp format? if you still have problems, create a new blank db and import everything from the old to the new!
    Have you tried reconverting the original from 97 to xp again, just to see if it works OK.
    Regards
    John

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Access 2000 format is the default format for Access XP anyhow, so you didn't do anything wrong. If you are crashing on a specific form, it is likely that the form is corrupted and you'll need to recreate it. Another possibility is that you are trying to mix ADO and DAO calls in the same routine. That will result in you being dumped unceremoniously back to the Windows desktop without an error message of any kind. I've seen that in Access 2000, so it isn't peculiar to Access XP.

If your form is blank, it probably means that you have no records being returned by the query behind the form. Since you created the new form using the Access XP wizards, you may have something other than what you expect. Access 2000 and XP wizards use ADO by default, which might not mix well with any DAO functions you could be using.
    Charlotte