New Lounger
    Thanks

Word will not load documents (Word 2000)

Problem Description:
    1. I launch Word - works fine
    2. File New or File Open - I can find the file and click on it
    3. Hour glass appears and never goes away - never loads the file.
    4. CTL-ALT-Del gives me a message that my system resources are low, do I want to end task
    5. 256 Memory
    6. I can only get out of this by turning my machine off and rebooting.
    7. This happens every time - only with Word - other programs, and other MS programs work fine.

8. Here's what I've done:
    a. Virus Scan - yes, I have the latest virus protection files
    b. Ran Quick Clean using McAfee
    c. Completely uninstalled my Microsoft Premium 2000 program and reinstalled.
    d. Defraged my hard drive
    e. Deleted a suspect file....that wasn't the problem - it happens with every Word doc
    I try to load.

Thanks for anyone's help!

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Word will not load documents (Word 2000)

Hi Kate:
    I'm not sure, but here's something to try. Go to the command line & start Word by typing

winword.exe /a

& press <enter>. If this works, then either you have a corrupt normal.dot or an add-in or com that's interfering. The former can be detected by renaming normal.dot (while Word is closed) & starting Word. Normal.dot will be recreated. If normal.dot isn't the problem, then you can remove all add-ins (generally found in one of the two startup folders for Word & Office) & add them back in one at a time. Let's begin with the command line entry, however.

Hope this helps.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Word will not load documents (Word 2000)

Hi Phil,

Thank you for responding to my post. Something miraculously happened between the time I spent posting my message and your response....as it normally does. I have both MSWord 2000 and MSWorks on my PC and had a hunch that maybe they were colliding with each other. I loaded Works and then loaded a doc and it worked okay, then I went back to my regular Word and tried again and it loaded the file as well. The only other thing I did was delete the shortcut to Word off my desktop thinking it was corrupted and causing program loading errors. I'm not sure which one of these made it work. But the normal.dot is a good suggestion and I will keep that in mind the next time gremlins haunt Word. It may have even been that the MSWorks Word created a new Normal.dot file. Oh who knows o/

Have a great day. Kate