New Lounger
    Princes Risborough, Buckinghamshire, England
    Thanks

Word 2000 and Word 2002 on the same computer (2000/2002)

I currently use Word 2000 (as part of Office 2000 SBE) on a 400MHz Pentium II (192 Mb RAM), under Win Me. In the near future, I need to install Word 2002. This will almost certainly be done from Works Suite 2003 as I don't need other Office XP programs.

Questions:
    1. Will Word 2002 run significantly slower than 2000 on this setup? If it does, then I'd like to retain my Word 2000 installation for day-to-day use, and only use 2002 when I need to.
    2. Assuming that this is the thing to do, where can I get good advice on running the two on the same PC? I've searched the MS Knowledge Base and found Q290576 - "OFFXP: Running Multiple Versions of Microsoft Office". This suggests that "co-installation" is possible, though not recommended, and details the various wrinkles about replacement of shortcuts and which program starts when file names are double-clicked. Are there any sources of more detailed advice or results of bitter experience on this subject?

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Word 2000 and Word 2002 on the same computer (2000/2002)

Hi,

I successfully ran both versions on my PC for several months earlier this year - just be sure to install Word 2002 in a different location than the default crogram filesmicrosoft office. I have a C & D drive and made sure Word 2002 was on D and no problems. The only problem I can forsee with your set up is that your PC is borderline on the min specs for Word 2002. It is very resource and memory hungry - personally I would have a minimum 256Mb RAM and a much faster processor (PIII).

In my case, I was using a PIII 800Mhz with 256Mb RAM.

Cheers

Beck

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Word 2000 and Word 2002 on the same computer (2000/2002)

I'm running two versions of Excel and agree with the previous post
    - definitely load to a different place than Microsoft Office (I didn't and got into serious difficulty)
    - also rename your old icons as Word 97 or whatever to avoid strange replacements

Both mine are on C: and co-exist happily enough