2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

upgrading office to win 2k

We want to upgrade our small office (6 ppl) from Win 98 to Win 2k. Can we buy the Windows 2000 upgrade version of the win 2k operating system in order to do this? If we buy one copy of this or the full version, can we use it to upgrade all of our computers? Does anyone have any comments re: the pitfalls of upgrading? Any contributions are welcome!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

Re: upgrading office to win 2k

Check ths MS Win2k site for operating system upgrade information. Win2k is much more demanding of hardware. You need to make sure that your hardware and software is compatible with Win2k. Make sure that there are Win2k drivers available for all your printers, CDs, faxes, modems, nics, etc. You'll probably have to visit each manufacturers site to make sure. Each PC should have a minimum of 256MB of memory to do anything worthwhile with Win2k. Do you have any servers or is there a peer-to-peer network? You may want to consider XP professional. With XPP you'd have even more in the way of hardware requirements. It is very reliable, easy to network, easy to use.

Joe
    Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Joe. We have one server. The people here want Win2k and NOT XP because of concerns of instability.

Administrator
    Thanks

What server OS are you using now? Is that going to be upgraded? BTW, I've been running XPP on my system at work and at home since November 2001 and have never had an unplanned stop or boot. Another PC at work has been running XPP for 6 months with the same results. As we replace PCs at work we'll use XPP as the OS. IMHO, XPP is very reliable and stable.

Joe
    Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the info re: XPP, I'll pass it on. We're running NT Server on our server and I'd like to get away without upgrading it. Do you think we can?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

I didn't see this mentioned....but please, please, please do yourself the favor of performing a clean install. You'll still qualify for the upgrade if you have the original media. Worst case, install Win2000 into a different directory.
    -Mark

Administrator
    Thanks

Yeah, you can continue to use NT server. We have one NT 4.0 sp6a server at work. Works fine with a mixture of WIn2k & XPP systems. BTW, If you are using domain based logins you must use XPP and not XP home to login to the domain. See Mark's post about a clean install. I agree completely.

Joe
    Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry for taking so long to respond, our internet connection was down while we moved offices. We have a workgroup not a domain. I'm not sure I understand what Mark was referring to. Should I do a clean install of Win2k instead of an upgrade on the server or on the user machines? I'd really rather do an upgrade on the user machines because that way I don't have to reinstall all programs, and, hopefully, my data will be preserved. Of course, I'm backing up anyway, but... And, the server, I would like to leave as is ie. running NT 4.0.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

I was recommending that you perform a clean installation on all of the client PCs - not the server. Upgrading any version of Windows is a bad idea, particularly from 9x systems to NT based systems. Upgrades leave too many little pieces of detritus behind that will cause quirky problems down the road - my experience has been, and continues to be, that upgrading is only acceptable if you want to spend time troubleshooting weird things. Installing fresh gives you a known working set, and a controlled environment.
    -Mark

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Mark. I think that I'm going to go with the upgrade, nevertheless. I won't say I wasn't warned!

Administrator
    Thanks

You can leave the server as is.

Joe
    Joe