Lounger
    Thanks

Compressing graphics (MS Office 2000 SR1a)

My challenge is Proposals created by a user group containing numerous graphics supplied by various vendors. Some of these graphics are large files resulting in enormous proposal docs that cannot be emailed to most clients. I have found several tools that work with Powerpoint to compress imbedded graphics without changing the formating of the slide, frequently yielding a 10:1 compression ratio. Is there anyway to do the same thing with a Word doc?

Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Compressing graphics (MS Office 2000 SR1a)

No answers here, but I'm curious about tools that compress imbedded graphics in Powerpoint. Some of our illustrators would like to know what they are. Would you let me know? Thanks.

Nancy Potter

Lounger
    Thanks

The product I have been using is NXPowerlite 1.3 (from neuxpower), acheiving 10:1 compression. If you have MS Office XP, this function is built in, just right click on any picture and choose your compression settings, but in 2000 it seems a third party product is required. I found NXPowerlite by search www.zdnet.com downloads page and search for "powerpoint compression". Numerous products were returned. No such luck with Word. Again, in XP the Compress Picture option is available but not in 2000.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Mike:
    Have you tried just zipping the file using winzip?

Lounger
    Thanks

There seems to be very little bang for the buck when zipping files containing high defination graphics. The compress option in XP actually gives you the option of selecting 200 dpi for print quality or 96 dpi for web. Our users are assembling proposals from grahics with much higher resolution that are sometimes used for camera ready professional printing. XP very nicely converts all of the graphics in a document in one step without changing the size or location of the graphic. With all the third party products for Powerpoint I thought there must be some way of doing it in Word also.