New Lounger
    Thanks

Downloading with Internet Explorer and W 2000 (6.0)

Hi - I have an IBM A21 laptop, a P-III 800 with 256 SDRAM memory. It is connected to a DSL line.

Some time ago, I downloaded an update for either Windows 2000 or Internet Explorer. The net effect of this download is that from that point forward every time I wish to download a PDF file, Real Download takes over. The speed from my DSL connection drops off dramatically. I am unable to stop this process, regardless of what keys I hit. Typically, 30 seconds go by and then I get a message from real download that I have successfully downloaded the file and am asked do I want to open the file.

There must be a better and faster way to accomplish this. Any suggestions?

David

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Downloading with Internet Explorer and W 2000 (6.0)

Without having real player et al in front of me, since the way it gloms onto everything is precisely why I refuse to use it, my first question is whether there is a configuration (options, preferences, etc) from within real one or real player that allows you to turn off real download, or dis-associate it from automatically starting. You may also be able to remove it from add/remove programs, although I assume that real would not make things that easy, without removing whatever real product you are using (one, basic, player, whatever), which I assume you want to keep. (of course you could make things easy and ditch anything having to do with real and try Windows Media beta 9!!!) You may also be able to "unclick" real download from Start/Run/MSCONFIG/Startup, as it is probably just sitting there from the start, using up memory.

By the way, I'm pretty sure that real download came to you from some sort of install of a real product, not from installing either Win2000 or IE

good luck
    kip

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Did you try looking under Control Panel/Add-Remove Software/ & scroll to see if Real Download is listed? If so, you can uninstall it.
    Hope this helps,

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Exactly. "Real Download" is not a Microsoft product.