New Lounger
    Thanks

Word and Dell OptiPlex (XP, SR2)

I recently discovered that when trying to use the Word command Alt+Ctrl+L (to insert a LISTNUM field) on the Dell Optiplex PCS (the black tower ones) the keystroke does not work. I've tested it a two different locations. Fresh installs of Office XP at both locations. Any ideas? Thanks!

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Word and Dell OptiPlex (XP, SR2)

I don't know if Word 2002 has changed key assignments (each new version seems to change some), but you can determine what is assigned by looking at <post#=127986>post 127986</post#>. You could assign Alt+Ctrl+L to InsertListNumberField in normal.dot if you wanted.
    Cheers,

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Have you checked the keyboard layout? (In WinNT you'll find this Start/Settings/Control Panel/Keyboard/Input Locales tab, don't know how this is in XP)

I live in Europe and have my keyboard set to US International. In this layout, Ctrl+Alt+L produces the symbol

New Lounger
    Thanks

I have been teaching Word 2002 since the day it was released last May. The keystroke Alt+Ctrl+L works on every PC I have encountered, except the Dell Optiplex. My guess is that Dell has reserved this key combination for reason, but I've not been able to get any information out of Dell. In Word 2002 the keystroke is a default, however nothing happens when it is used. When I have reassigned the InsertListNumField to another keystroke combination, it works fine. However, the default remains the same thru the later versions of Word (6.0-2002).

Thanks for the replies.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I have a Dell Optiplex GX240 and that keystroke combination works perfectly. We're beginning to work with Word 2002 and I've been typing in a long complex document from scratch so we have a nice clean training document to use, and I've probably put a hundred or so listnum fields in it, all using Ctrl-Alt-L.

Lee Morgan

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

What happens if you start Word from the command line (Start/Run...) by typing

winword.exe /a

That will start Word without normal.dot & without any add-ins. Does the keystroke work then? My thought is that you either have a corrupt normal.dot or an add-in that is interferring.
    Cheers,

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Phil. I've tried that and still have the problem. It was a fresh install of Office XP on a brand new PC (I took it out of the carton) using Windows XP.