Lord13

Modified my style when I wasn't looking

Hi all,

Thanks in advance for any assistance. I have a strange problem. I have been using MS Word 2000 for a year and have never noticed this behavior before. Word seems to think every style in every document has been modified in some way. To illustrate what's happening:

Start Word (blank normal.dot document) and change the first line style from normal to Heading 1. If I reapply Heading 1 I get a modify style dialog box. If I select "Reapply the formatting of the style to the selection" it doesn't stop the modify style dialog from popping up again if I reapply the style. If I select "Update the Style to reflect the changes" that will stop the modify style dialog box from popping up, but it doesn't actually change anything in the style. For some reason Word has flagged all the styles has having a change, but there is no changes! I can wail on Ctrl-Q and Ctrl-Space 50 times before I try to reapply the style and I STILL get a modify style dialog box. What gives?!

Some background I what I have attempted so far to fix:
    I've searched through the knowledge base, no bugs associated with the modify style dialog box.
    I've deleted my normal.dot
    I've made sure all the Autoformat as you type items are unchecked.
    I've made sure 'preserve styles' in AutoFormat is unchecked.
    I have made sure none of the styles in question have 'Automatic Update' turned on.
    Problem happens if style is based on normal or (no style).

This has got to be some crazy bug, can anyone help?

Lord13

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Modified my style when I wasn't looking

Can't really help, except to say my normal.dot behaves the same, if that is any consolation.

It must be a bug - best solution would be to avoid re-applying the same style to itself.

Andrew C

Thanks

Hi,

Have you scanned for viruses?
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

I have InnoculateIT PE, freshly updated, and scanned all after I read your post, and made sure all Word files were scanned. Nothing found.

Word 2000(9.0.2720) and also have WOPR 2000. I notice some Macros for applying heading styles and it is only when those styles are applied the problem occurs. Are they part of WOPR ? - they are protected so I cannot read the source code.

I am curious now [img]/w3timages/icons/doh.gif[/img]

Andrew C

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Charles:

I don't think it's a virus; my Word W2000 works like that also (& I see Andrew's does too). Does yours operate differently?

Thanks

My mistake. It was so counter-intuitive that I didn't check. Yes, my Word 2000 does the same thing!

I then checked and Word 97 does not! Sorry.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

Lord13

Hi all,

I should have listed that I checked for virii as well. I'm glad some others are noticing the same behavior. Considering that If I select the Reapply option, I should not see the modify style dialog box again if I reapply the style a second time. This has to be a bug. Can anyone tell me how to submit this to MS? Thanks again for your help!

Lord13