New Lounger
    Thanks

Page Setup (IE 6 Service Release 1)

Have recently installed the new service release.

IE now seems to default to a landscape format (page setup) upon opening, which is a pain...

Any suggestions as to how to retrain it so that it will default to portrait orientation?

Thanks

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Page Setup (IE 6 Service Release 1)

I have honestly not heard of this happening before. On my system, it defaults to Portrait. A best I can tell, this is NOT controlled in the registry.

I guess the obvious question would be concerning your Printer settings?? Is your Printer set on Landscape, and therefore IE defaults to this?

Hmmmm.... I was digging through the registry looking for something else, when lo and behold I came across this key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftInternet ExplorerPageSetup

It this key is a String value named "orientation". Mine has a data of "1" in it -- and my IE prints in Portrait by default. STRANGELY, if I modify the Page Setup orientation from within IE, this value DOES NOT CHANGE!!

Therefore, it looks like that value is stored there as the default setting. Look in your registry for that value and see what it is.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

When this value is changed to "2" for landscape, the value sticks but it has no effect on the page setup which always reverts to portrait on my XP SP2 IE 6 SP1 machine.

-Jester
    I know enough to know I don't know enough

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

According to the MS newsgroups, the orientation setting worked in Internet Explorer 5, but not any more in Internet Explorer 6. Some threads state that IE6 uses the printer's default setting, but others report differently. In short, there doesn't seem to be a consistent solution for this problem - I guess you'll have to live with it.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Possibly one more reason lots of folks and now large organizations are looking at dumping IE and adopting Mozilla. I never thought I'd see that on the horizon at our place but it is coming next year.

-Jester

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Perhaps someone has 'messed with' a Group Policy setting for the printer. Good luck with the browser switch. I see no compelling reason to switch browsers especially in a business. You can lock down IE in many ways if security is the issue. Your company should be running software and hardware firewalls anyway along with a/v and anti-spyware software. I just don't see the reason to install more software on everyone's PC for negligible (if any) tangible benefit.

Joe
    Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you for your opinion but you assume far too much. Our environment is locked down more than most as we are a financial institution that is bound by federal regulations and Comptroller of the Currency mandates.

-Jester

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

IMO, all the more reason not to mess with software and introduce another attack vector. Most likely you'll still need IE on the systems.

Joe
    Joe