3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Completing email addresses (OL2002)

Hi.

OL2002 tries to complete email addresses in a helpfil way, by showing a dropdown list of possible matches that I can select from (see image). Generally this is much much better than the way OL2000 tried to do it, and so I'm happy to let Outlook carry on suggesting things in this way. Two issues annoy me, though.

1. It will insist on showing fax numbers, despite the fact that I have no fax software installed (and anyway Office XP doesn't have any fax support, that I can see)

2. It appears to pull up information from within emails to get addresses, rather than just contacts, which means that it presents me with options for email addresses that are no longer valid and I have to guess which is which. This is compounded by the fact that it seems to have a "memory" which it periodically clears, but it doesn't clear all the addresses. One of my contacts, an associate who know works for us, it shows all of his previous (invalid) contact details, but NOT his email with us. If I type his name in in full, however, and CTRL-K then there it is.

So, how does this feature work, definitively, where does it pick up the addresses from, and how can I clear the list down short of deleting emails that I want to hang on to?

Thanks.

Stuart
    Attached Images Attached Images

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Completing email addresses (OL2002)

If you're using Outlook in corporate mode, this sounds like a problem with the nickname resolution system. If so, you can't recover it, but you can clear it and start over. To test this, exit and log out of Outlook. Then use Start | find to locate your .nick or your .nk2 file. Rename it, then start Outlook and give it a try.

If you don't want to go this whole-hog route you can get a utility from MS that "might" clean up the corruption. Point your browser to http://support.microsoft.com. Once in, do a search for article Q242074.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

XP Home certainly has fax support that is an integral part of the OS - assuming that the PC does have a fax modem, of course. Cannot share the driver within a PP network, but otherwise is very good.

Be nice if it could be set up to use a modem on another PC though. Not exactly keen on the idea of all machines on a 5 PC home network connected to broadband having a modem just for faxing!

David

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Stuart

This drop-down list is independent of your contacts - it is just a record of previously typed things.

To delete a single entry, start typing a name, wait for the drop-down to appear, navigate to the unwanted address (use arrow keys) and press delete