3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Can't delete folder on desktop (Windows XP)

Hi

I have a folder on my desktop (Grau Software) and don't know where it came from or what it is (i think one of my kids may have put it there). When I try to delete it the following message comes up:

Can not delete Grau Software, Make sure the disk is not full or write protected and that the file is not currently in use.

Ive tried to go into the folder but i get the same message.

I've gone into the properties of the folder and unchecked Read Only but it still won't delete and the read only check reappears.

Any suggestions would be welcomed
    Dax

Thanks

Re: Can't delete folder on desktop (Windows XP)

Maybe from Grau Software ! They have a whole range of software available for download.

It may have been installed rather than simply placed on your desktop - does it show up in Add and Remove Programs?

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Run msconfig and look in Startup. Uncheck any references to Grau Software and reboot. The folder should then be deleteable.

Rob
    <font color=blue><font face="Script MT Bold"><big>Rob</big></font face=script></font color=blue>

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts

Do you have multiple users logged on to the system concurrently? If so, switch to the other user and try to delete it there. Do you log in as a user with administrative rights?

Joe
    Joe

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

First try to restore your computer to the time before download (Start | All Programs | Accessories | System Tools | System Restore).

If it doesn't work, you can use the most drastic way: boot your computer to the Safe Mode (pressing F8 during startup just before first black Windows screen appears and choosing Safe Mode from the menu) and delete unwanted folder, all other folders created by Grau, and remove all related entries from the Registry (by opening Registry Editor and searching for "grau") - the latest requires some experience.