Lounger
    Thanks

Excel97: printing too many pages

Hi all,

I've recently altered a workbook that we use to record statistics. The main office changed their form, so we, of course, have to follow along. [img]/w3timages/icons/mad.gif[/img]

Anyway, I have some worksheets that are formatted to be printed as reports. Each report fits on just one page. Now, however, the Excel wants to print *8* pages -- the report page itself, and then seven blank (other than the header) pages after that. I don't understand why it's doing this. The report fits in the print area for one page -- so why does it want to print eight?

Any insights gratefully accepted.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Excel97: printing too many pages

Anthony,

Your problem is probably caused by the inadvertent insertion of a character in a cell outside the work area. Even a blank space can cause this problem.

You can do 2 things, either of which should help :

1. Set the Print Area to include only the area you want printed.

2. Select all Cells beneath the Print area and clear them and then repeat for all cells to the right.

Hope that works for you,

Andrew C

BAM

When Excel prints it prints from cell A1 through the last active cell. Also note another item that the last active cell factors into is the file size.

You just need to reset the workbook to the "true" last active cell, which will take care of the printing problem and you may see a slight decrease in the file size.

For this:
    - Press <Ctrl End> to locate the last active cell and make a note of it
    - Go to the last row used in your report and then select the rows below it until you are a few past the row of the last active cell
    - Right-click the selected rows and choose Delete
    - Do the same with the columns to the left of your report
    - Save the Workbook
    - Press <Ctrl End> to verify that the last active cell now falls at the intersection of the last used column/row of your report.
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    Cheers!

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Just like to point out that if you select the row beneath the last row, then press Shift-End then still holding Shift press the cursor down (down arrow) and all the rows to the last are selected, so you simply press delete (or right click, Delete). The same operation can be performed on columns, repalcing the down arrow with the right arrow (or left).

I think both procedures are the same, unless I am missing something.

AC

Lounger
    Thanks

My thanks to both of you -- it worked! [img]/w3timages/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    Though how I wound up with an active cell in IU 41 --this is a small report-- I have no idea. [img]/w3timages/icons/hairy.gif[/img]

Thanks again,

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

We have a similar problem in that Excel seems to think the worksheet is full. We wanted to insert a row, but got a message saying "cannot shift non-blank cells off the worksheet". When we try to delete even one row (either the first supposed-to-be empty row or the last one), we get an hour glass for many minutes. We think the highest cell is K200. There are 5 sheets, all with links to this sheet.

The last person who worked in the spreadsheet does not know Excel very well and does not know what he'd have done to cause this problem. Would clicking the inside border button cause all the cells to be occupied? I suggested he do that when he wanted cell borders. I hope that didn't cause this.

We tried copying the cells we wanted to a new sheet, but all the references screwed up.

BAM

Hi Wendy,

Since the borders are a format that shouldn't do it.

I'd say there is something "hanging out" in row 65,536.

Use <Ctrl End> to navigate to the last used cell and first select the last several rows and go to Edit/Clear/All.

Then you should be able to insert rows. You may still need to go through the Delete process as I described if only to reset the last active cell.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~
    Cheers!

maxwell

I have been having the same problems as described by irishspy. However, when I tried edit/clear/all as described, the size of the worksheet INCREASED. Deleting the rows and columns had no effect. Any other suggestions?

Thanks!