New Lounger
    Thanks

Changing Motherboards

Win 2000 pro seems to tie itself rigidly to the hardware on a system, particularly the motherboard. I'd like to change the motherboard without having to reinstall Win2K and all my software, data and settings. I've tried running repair from the CD - no good. If I use install 2000 from the cd it will destroy all settings. Any Ideas?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Changing Motherboards

Oh, I don't know about that - I've done exactly what you're talking about, and fifteen minutes and one request for the CD later, I have a stable system again. Nary a burp. If all your other hardware remains the same, I wouldn't sweat it too much - swap and try it out.

If you run a Repair from the CD, it should perform an in-place upgrade, but only do that if you absolutely need to.

And of course, the Golden Rule applies: Backup, backup, backup.
    -Mark

New Lounger
    Thanks

I've already tried to change the motherboard. The systems starts to boot to windows and I get a blue screen telling me that windows can't continue and to reboot my system. When I reboot the same thing happens even if I try to go into Safe Mode.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

My sympathy - you're out of luck. Your new motherboard is too different from previous one - I bet it has integrated video, sound, requires drivers for IDE controllers etc. etc. Boot from CD and install a new copy of Windows. If you want to preserve your data files, install Windows into different directory, say, WINDOWS if your previous one was WINXP and vice versa, but the best solution is reformatting your boot partition.
    Don't forget to install all drivers required - be sure there is no yellow and red marks in Device Manager.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you for the information. I guess this is just another bad idea (or joke) from Microsoft. Motherboards go bad and it seems that we technicians would have a better way to help our customers without having to reinstall several years worth of software installs and settings.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I've been through this before. For me it was the IDE controllers that needed different drivers. Plop that CD back in the drive and boot it. When it asks if you want to Reinstall or Repair, pick repair. Then it will ask, I think, if you want the Repair Console, or to do an Automated Repair. Pick the Automated Repair. All you really need is for it to put it's generic IDE drivers in place of the old ones. You can also do this by putting the old motherboard back in the system, booting with it, and changing the drivers then - but that's too much work for me [img]/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you Dean.
    P. C.