2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

intra office email (2000)

This may be a really dumb question, but I don't have much Outlook experience. How would one set up intra office emailing (or instant messaging) capability. Does the office need a mail server, or, if everyone is using Outlook, is a LAN enough for us to communicate? If anyone can be of assistance, I'll take any pearls I can get!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: intra office email (2000)

This is kind of a big question. If your office is on Exchange server your admin can set up distribution lists within the global address list. If not, each of your users can set up personal address lists. Either option will let you select one entry and parse the mail out to the individual recipients. But neither is an instant messaging solution.

MSN and other places provide instant messaging services, often for free. You have to sign up with them, which often exposes you to spam and other problems. Also, the different services have compatibility problems, so you need to use this with clients, etc., then you'll need to research your options. If you just need this for the office then life is (a little) simpler.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Our office is not on Exchange server and we just need this for the office. I'm not sure how setting up personal address lists for each user does the trick. Would you be able to elaborate a little more, please?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Ok. You'll have to set up personal distribution lists in your contact folders. The list lets you select one entry as a recipient, so it's easy to send an interoffice communication. This entry can contain pretty much as many recipients as you like - everyone in a department; everyone in the office, etc. I think each of those entries have to exist in your contacts, so you can select them for inclusion in the list.

New Lounger
    Thanks

If I understand your question correctly, it seems that you want to give everyone in your office email. If you do not have a mail server, you cannot do this, but if your users have free email addresses (such as yahoo, Juno, hotmail, etc.), and you have a connection to the internet, you can use outlook with those free services to communicate with your inter office users. Then you can use OldDog's suggestion to create mail groups within your Outlook Contacts. If you want everyone to have the same groups, like you would be able to create on an Exchange Server, you can create a Personal Address Book (*.PAB) and create the groups in that PAB. Put the PAB in a shared directly that everyone can access and have them add it as a service to the Outlook services.

You can then add whatever permissions you want to the PAB and only have a specific person or group to update the PAB.

Hope this helps