New Lounger
    Thanks

Win2K - IAS & Routing & Remote Access

When I go into IAS, it comes up okay. But a few seconds later - I'd guess it's trying to communicate with the service - the "Remote Access Logging" and the "Remote Access Policies" options have a red X on them, like they are unavailable. Remote Access Logging lists "Local File" under "Logging Method", but when I try and edit it to check/set the path, it says "Connection Attempt Failed". I don't see anything in Remote Access Policies. I am able to create clients, and I'm looking now for a method to test that - this is a replacement for an existing IAS service, and I'd like to test it before I turn off the other one, so I'm a little stuck there. The service is registered in Active Directory, as far as I can tell, all the settings of the service are the same as my other implementation.

I also thought of Routing & Remote Access - it's got problems all it's own. When you start the MMC console for it, it takes forever to fire up (okay, about ten seconds). Then when it finally comes up, I get the server name, with its own red X. When I try to go to properties, it tells me "You do not have the required permissions to view the properties". Signed on as the administrator of the domain. I've tried deleting the server and re-adding it to the list, no luck.

I've also tried disabling and uninstalling TCP/IP, then reinstalling. No luck. I've quit the domain and rejoined it. No luck. I've demoted this server from being a domain controller and repromoted it, no luck. I've uninstalled IAS. No luck. I'd uninstall R&RA, but I don't think I can in Windows 2000

Running Service Pack 3, IE6 SP1, and all the updates available on Windows Update as of yesterday. I haven't applied those from this morning's alerts yet.

Anyone have any ideas?

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Win2K - IAS & Routing & Remote Access

Small update. I thought perhaps the descriptive name was the problem (hey - I'm running out of ideas!). So I tried to change that on the new server, and I keep getting an "error writing data" message. I've stopped the service and tried again and that doesn't work either. Maybe this will shed some light on the problem... I'm sure stumped.