Thread: XP Crashing?

Star Lounger
    Thanks

XP Crashing?

Using SP1, by the way.

Ive noticed sometimes that my computer crashes (no! say it ain't so! [img]/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img] it's bad enough that when I ctrl-alt-del and hit T for Task Manager, the taskmanager never shows up. I can ctrl-alt-del til the cows come home, and still nothing. if I click shut down or log off, THEN it takes me back to the desktop and shows the Taskman systray icon and usually sometimes the window of Taskman, but nothing works. no buttons, no nothings... however processes still seem to be running in the background. Almost every time this has happened, there's been some dialog box open, but hidden BEHIND other windows. Sometimes I get the "this application has caused and error and will be shut down" or something, with the send and dont send buttons, but I can't click anything.

At that point I usually get frustrated and start hammering ctrl-alt-del. for every two ctrl-alt-dels that I push, one process decreases from the number in the taskman. more than a few times now, Ive had the end program dialog pop up for a program called CiceroUIWND... and the rest of it is cut off. invariable as soon as that one goes, the system then shuts itself down more or less gracefully. Ive tried google searches on CiceroUIwnd and got nothing. CiceroUI and got nothing and Cicero + UI which brings a bucnh of hits about some musical/play starring Arturo Ui. [img]/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

my questions are this: 1> what the heck is happening to my system that taskman doesnt work and b> has anyone seen this CiceroUI thing before? Ive run NAV and AdAware both to scan for viruses and spyware, and comes up clean. Im rather confused by it all at this point.

Today's crashes came about when trying to import names & email addresses from a csv file to outlook contacts. (O2kSp2)

Mark

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: XP Crashing?

PS... right now, while my system appears to be stable, I dont see the cicero thing at all in the list of running processes.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

In task manager, in the title line, you can grab the column divider and expand the column to be able to read the whole line. You may be able to get some more info about the process. Is there any reference to "Cicero" in task manager/startup? Or in add/remove programs?

just trying to help
    kip

Star Lounger
    Thanks

there isn't anything in the processes or applications about it when I look (just looked again) maybe it's something that gets invoked and then crashes...

I changed my fonts back to normal size and went through the same steps and made it crash again, and the whole name of it is

CiceroUIWNDFrame

the next thing Im going to check is to try disabling some COM add-ins. i have AttOpt, BestNetCall and Cloudmark Spam filter add-in's running in Outlook as well... this may or may not be related to an earlier post of mine, but in all Office apps *EXCEPT* outlook, VB editor runs fine, but does absolutely nothing when I click it or select it from the menu or try alt-f11 in Outlook

Mark

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Just did a google search on your full name and came up with this, from somthing called SimNet:

"Cicero" appears to be part of MS Office XP's speech recognition and/or handwriting recognition feature. These features are part of Office's "shared features" for alternative user inputs. They are not installed if the user picks typical installation.

If you receive errors when using SimNet and are not using these Office XP features, we recommend uninstalling them.

To uninstall Office XP alternative user input support:

Open the Control Panel.
    Open Add/Remove Programs.
    Select Microsoft Office XP from the list of installed programs, and click the Change button.
    Click the Add or Remove Features radio button, and click Next.
    Click the + in front of Office Shared Features.
    Click the + in front of Alternative User Input.
    If the Speech and/or Handwriting feature is installed and you are not using that feature, please uninstall by clicking the icon and selecting Not Available.
    Click the Update button to uninstall (if necessary).

hope this helps

Star Lounger
    Thanks

well imagine that! [img]/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img] i wonder why I didnt get any hits on it before with the partial name...

well im gonna go and check that out and uninstall that crap (office came preloaded on this machine, so they might have installed it as part of the image)

Thanks for the help, I'll let you know how it went!