Star Lounger
    Thanks

Windows Update Circle (Windows XP Home SP1)

I went to the Windows Update site and found there was a new version of Windows Installer. The auto update led me in circles the screen I got was leading me back to the update button and saying it was installing the update.

How do I get this vcrazy Microsoft Installer to be updater onto my computer so it can scan for updates

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Windows Update Circle (Windows XP Home SP1)

Hi nomorikaw--

I got to this Installer update dated Oct. 31 by clicking on "Find Microsoft Windows Updates" in the task pane on the left and searching Windows Installer. I didn't install it because the <A target="_blank" HREF="http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;q309495&">
    MSKB: Q 309495 Problems With Windows Installer Over Wireless Connection</A> represented it 1) is to correct a problem with the WI over a wireless connection 2) is included if you are using Windows XP SP1. It was not offered to me by Update because I already had it.

I have been using the Security Bulletins MS will email you. You get the Security Patches, according to Microsoft Tech Support, earlier, sometimes by a couple weeks or more and as a result rarely have to use Windows Update and I like this better. You can get the Security Hot Fixes earlier than they are offered on Windows Update at Subscriptions for the Microsoft Security Notification Service. A recent CNET article says there are no more than for Linux systems; that in fact, Linux OS's had more security patches than MS--I would have guessed the other way.

I have noticed that with respect to drivers, possibly because of the "driver 'signing hoops' process time lapse" at Microsoft Research Redmond in the area where MS signs drivers, WU will offer me driver updates long after I have already updated the same driver from the device manufacturer.

defrag

Star Lounger
    Thanks

This may be a dumb question but when you talk about the left task pane are you referring to Internet Exploxer

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Nmorikaw--

Sorry--I was using the left task pane to refer to the area on the left of Windows Update that has it's "selection hyperlinks like Welcome/Pick Updates to Install/Review and Install Updates/See Windows Update Catalogue" with check boxes. I am pulling the term from the Office task pane because the Microsofties call anything that looks like it a Task Pane in their talks and the Microsoft Press Windows User Experience: Official Guidelines for User Interface Developers and Designers often calls a column over on the left where there are hyperlinks or options a "task pane." The developers talk about a "pane" when they split a window into separate viewing areas as in Windows Explorer or Office.

Last thing I wanted to do was be ambiguous--1) Put up Win Update 2) Over to the left of the screen under "See Also" click on the Windows Catalouge Hyperlink/Then click on the top category on the right with the green arrow "Find updates for Windows operating systems" then you highlight "Windows XP Family" in the pulldown and then click Advanced Searched Options and put "Windows Installer" in the search box. Just leave all the boxes checked. Hit the "Search button." The Hyperlink at the top is "Recommended Updates (1)." Click on it and up will come:
    __________________________________________________ __________________________

Recommended Updates (1)
    Update for Interrupted Installations Using Windows Installer
    Update for Interrupted Installations Using Windows Installer - (Posted Date: October 31, 2002)
    Download size: 962 KB
    This update resolves the "Problems with Windows Installer Over Wireless Connection" issue with Microsoft Installer (MSI), and is discussed in Microsoft Knowledge Base (KB) Article Q309495. A problem can occur when an MSI package is being installed from removable media or over a network and the MSI package source becomes unavailable during install (i.e., Media is removed or there are network problems). Download now to fix this problem. Read More...
    Update for Interrupted Installations Using Windows Installer
    __________________________________________________ _____________________

The only reason I had to search for it was that I have SP1 installed, so that a large number of current updates have been offered that are included in SP1. The lounge has had a number of threads on this:

According to (Total Article Count: 317) Categorized List of Fixes SP1 -- there are 317 KB Articles here detailing 317 fixes and the XP fixes keep rolling out at the rate of around 2-3 per week.

If you have any trouble locating this, post back or email me and I'll help.

defrag

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you very much for the detailed explaination. I will try your solution tonight when I get home.

I believe the fix I was trying to download was for "Windows XP Security Patch: Unchecked Buffer in PPTP Implementation Could Enable Denial of Service"

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yessir. That'd be Unchecked Buffer in PTTP Implementation.

There has been a spate of stuff on newsgropus about updating Windows Update. If you get your Security Patches from Hot Fix and Security Bulletin Service--you'll get 'em earlier--sometimes by weeks. I've compared and MS also says that. That's better secuirty. Then get your drivers from the hardware manufacturer sites--or if they sent them to the OEM's for your computer from there as is the case a year or more later. That way Windows Update is going to have little to offer you and you won't have to worry much about it.
    You'll also plug the security exploits in a more timely fashion than Windows Update.

defrag

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I will subscribe to Hot Fix and Security bulletin.

To let you know I managed to download the security patch through the automatic update feature. It puzzles me why I need to update Windows Update Installer software when I manually attempt to contact the the Microsoft website uisng IE6, SP-1 and do need any updates if I do it ny auotmatic update.

I have read some other forums and this appears to be a problem with many people. Thye say two *.dll file versions may not be insync with each other and registry hack may be required