New Lounger
    Thanks

Error Deleting File/Folder

I'm unable to delete a directory folder, as Windows Explorer believes there is a sharing violation. There are no files in the folder and no one has it open, I've tried to delete it the everyday for the past two weeks, 2 hours before anyon else shows up, but still the error. Is there any way to delete this directory folder? HELP!!!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Error Deleting File/Folder

Sure, there's always a way, but could you first give us the NAME of the folder so someone doesn't send you off to wreck your Windows installation?

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the quick response! It isn't a systems related directory folder, it is just a folder I created to manage files, which is empty and no longer required.

Thanks

What operating system?

At the risk of stating the obvious:
    Have you re-booted since attempting to delete the folder?
    Tools > Folder Options > View >
    - make sure no files are hidden.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Sounds like you've got a network there too. I don't know whether someone having that folder "mapped" would prevent you from deleting it. See Leif's question first - what OS are you running?

Sometimes one has to go to a "DOS" command prompt, do a CD to the folder just "above" the one you want to delete. Then, assuming the folder IS empty, the RD (folder name) MIGHT get the job done. If that should fail for whatever mysterious reason, you might even have to reboot into SAFE mode and try again. And if THAT doesn't work, I have on occasion had to resort to booting the machine with a customized Win98SE boot disk that I keep on hand, assuming the volume is NOT of the NTFS variety. Sheesh, I always feel like I'm possibly sending someone off on a murderous mission. Please be careful!

New Lounger
    Thanks

It was as simple as the person who is supposed to be administering the server not going in and checking the server itself. The folder was sitting there wide open. Thanks for your time and thoughts.