2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Microsoft Icons Disappear

Hi,

I've seen solutions on this for Win 9x, but nothing that seemed to be the exact problem I suddenly find for Windows 2000. Yesterday I turned on my computer, and all the Microsoft Office shortcut icons (in both the Start Menu and the Office Bar) suddenly reverted to the plain icon you normally see for an unknown exe file - that empty blue box icon.

They all seem to work fine - whatever office program I choose opens right up; it's just the product specific icons are all gone. With one exception, it's just my Microsoft Office icons that are affected (including Open Document and New Document), all the rest of my icons from other programs are fine. Also, any documents on my desktop have reverted to the generic Windows icon. Not a vital problem, but somewhat annoying.

I've tried to repair with Tweak UI, and to rebuild the Office bar, with no luck. Rebooting didn't do anything either. Is there any solution other than going in and creating a new set of shortcut icons for the Office Bar and the Start Menu?

Thanks,

John

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Re: Microsoft Icons Disappear

John, Sometimes a repair of the icon cache doesn't work and you need to delete the file 'shelliconcache'.
    See http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_undeletable_file.htm for instructions on deleting a file that is normally in use by Win2k. I know the tip says XP but it will work with 2k also. BTW, shelliconcache is a hidden file located in your windows installation folder (usually c:wiint).

hth,
    Joe
    Joe

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Right-click on the Microsoft Office Shortcut Bar BETWEEN ICONS OR ON THE EMPTY SPACE and from pop-up menu choose "Refresh Icons".

Office Shortcut Bar has its own icon cache in
    c:WindowsApplication DataMicrosoftOfficeShortcut BarOff*****.tmp

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi John--
    There is a thread on the lounge where either Eileen or MJ mentioned a file that you can tweak to preserve icons--I'm looking for it for myself might have been in "Lounge Matters." Will post link if I find. The thread was a favicon thread and one of the third party utilities mentioned in these threads could help you. I'm using Win XP but have done these on a 2000 box as well.
    You can theoretically enlarge icon cache size to preserve icons with this regedit:
    __________________________________________________ ________________________
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftWindowsCurrentV ersionexplorer.
    Highlight key in left pane. Rt. click the rt. pane/choose New>String Value. Rename string value MaxCachedIcons. Double-click MaxCachedIcons in rt. pane, type value 2048, and click OK.

This is from Curt Simmons' Windows XP Secrets p. 89. I have tried this many times with 2048 and higher multiples. [b]Never worked in my hands.[/i]
    __________________________________________________ __________________________

Thanks to Woody Leonhard's Win XP for Dummies (one of few XP books that hits this) I stumbled onto a tip that allows icons to stick--and one of my favorite breaks which is to mine XP for its free hundreds of icons that withstand refreshing or rebooting--p. 246--"places to look for icons." I expanded upon this by Rt. clicking the bland "e"/properties/browse button/change icon window--you can hit everyone of those little iconnettes in the default Sys 32 file that's up and they have a treasure trove of icons--some have a few some have over one hundred. I will send you my list that's growing--I have several hundred.
    __________________________________________________ _________________________
    To your problem: Getting Office Icons You Can Use that Stick Without buying Third Party:

1) Rt. click the bland "e" or icon you want changed.
    2) Properties/At top of Window Click "Look In" Pull-Down.
    3) Select "C" Drive or Drive where you Keep your OS Windows Programs Folder/Don't Select Windows--which is a source of icons but not for this task.
    4) Select "Programs Files" by Sliding/Open "Microsoft Office"/Open "Office 2002"/Click on "Office 10" or whatever version you have 8,9,...); here you will find icons for the component apps of Office and others. Highlight the icon/OK/Apply OK. You have it forever unless you decide to change to another.

Click on the dlls aren't represented by icons too--many will reveal different icons--one or more. This isn't the only pathway. Hope these are the icons you are trying to make stick. If not--tell me which and I'll look for them. I also think that file that MJ/Eileen brought up I'm trying to find may be key to making them stick as well.
    __________________________________________________ _________________________

You can also do searches for tons of 3rd party icon folders and get many 30 day trials, for example: Cool Blue Icons. Just click on and unzip--I can't read Chinese. This just an example of the many many 3rd Party icon trial ware available.

defrag