5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Dropdown & the Mouse Wheel (A2K)

Before anyone gets excited and thinks they're seeing double, I've already posted this elsewhere with no results, so maybe I may not be asking the question correctly.
    First, my question. When I have a combo field, it does the dropdown thing on focus and then I use the scroll bar to get to what I want or key in the first few characters. If, however, I try and use my mousewheel, the dropdown 'disappears', all the records start scrolling through at a great rate. Not good.
    What I would like to have happen, is for
    (a) the dropdown not disappear and
    ([img]/forums/images/smilies/cool.gif[/img] for the mousewheel capability to kick in on the dropdown only and not all of the records

I'd be happy right now with just (a).

I do believe I've seen this done, but in the past, I didn't have the good sense to document these 'gems'.
    Which brings me to my second point, which is a totally unsolicited plug for a fabulous product that I now use for 'gem documenting' call TreePad Plus. You can check it out at http://www.treepad.com/ <font color=blue>Edited by WendellB to activate link 01-Nov-02 17:12 MST</font color=blue>

Thanks in advance for any help.
    Cheers,
    Andy

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Dropdown & the Mouse Wheel (A2K)

I'm going to guess here that you are using a continous form with multiple records visible. In that case the wheel is associated with the highest level scroll bar, which is associated with the form, not the combo box control. I haven't actually tested it, but my guess is if you went to a single record form view, things would behave better, though I'm not sure it will do what you want. In Access XP forms have a Mouse Wheel property that you can use to kick off a procedure (or macro), but combo box controls don't have such a thing, so it looks like the Wheel event is always associated with the current form.
    Wendell

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Wendell:
    Thanks for your response. You're guess is a little off-base with respect to what I'm actually doing. It is a single form, with a combo dropdown, and I thought it would be neat to use the mouse wheel when scanning down through the dropdown. Since I posted this little problem, I've gone through every Access 2000 book that I own, (so many, I hate to admit to how many) and as you've probably guessed, no mention whatsoever to the little old mouse wheel, because, as you clariified for me, it didn't come into Access existence until Access XP. Bummer! Anyway, thanks again, I really appreciate your getting back to me.
    Andy
    Cheers,
    Andy

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Well, as I said it was a shot in the dark, and I don't have Access 2000 on my office PC anymore, so I check 2002 help, and it actually helped for a change. Unfortunately it wouldn't do what you really want either - you could trap the event and ignore it, but that would be about it.
    Wendell