Thanks

Norton Internet Security???

Sorry, but I couldn't decide where to put this, and even though no forum is really appropriate, I am always confident that I will come away from here with a worthwhile answer.

I installed Norton internet Security 2002 (regular , unprofessional edition) (on XP Pro) and late one night, during a seemingly endless flow of prompts to either block outgoing or incoming traffic, I apparently told NIS to permanently block traffic for msimn.exe (which, unfortunately, is Outlook Express). Now I have to shut off NIS every time I send or receive email.
    A frustrating visit to Symantec Support turned up nothing appropriate - I don't even know the term they use for the 'thing' that is blocking OE. Event? Block? I found nothing there. I could always pay them $29.95 for their help, but I was never a believer in paying to find out how to do something I should be able to learn using Help. And you know how well Help is written these days.
    Anybody know the secret to un-blocking something in NIS?

And as an aside, any input as to the relative worth of Norton Internet Security vs. McAfee Internet Security is MORE than welcome (other programs as well) - typically, I have bought software and THEN thought of asking advice. Oh, well...life goes on.

Thanks again, one and all, for your help past, present and future!
    Have a cookie -

Don

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Norton Internet Security???

To change the settings for an individual program you need to do the following:
    1/ On the left side of the Norton Internet Security window click on Personal Firewall > Internet Access Control
    2/ Under Internet Access, select the entry for the application you want to change
    3/ On the drop-down menu select a new setting.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

Re: Norton Internet Security???

Hi Don, There are several interesting free products that will do the same as NIS. You could check out ZoneAlarm, Kerio, Outpost and several other free firewalls. AVG and Avast (from Alwil) are free anitvirus solutions. You can do a search in the Google newsgroups for discussions of firewall and AV solutions. For most people it comes down to what you feel comfortable with and are willing to learn.

Joe
    Joe