Thread: Selection

New Lounger
    Thanks

Selection

In WORD 97, you could select a vertical row of characters any where within the body of text by depressing ALT and moving the Insertion Point left or right. I've upgraded to WORD 2000 and the aforementioned command no longer works. Would appreciate any help you could provide. Thank you.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Selection

Still works that way. You can either put the cursor somewhere, hold the Alt key down, & then press & hold the left mouse key as you drag. Or you can press Ctrl+Shift+F8 & then use arrow keys.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Phil,
    Your solution of Ctrl+Shift+F8 worked like a charm. Many, many thanks. The Alt + cursor for some reason does not. Could it be that my OS (WINNT) has something to do with it?
    Regardless, thanks again.

Joe Vincent

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

I'm not sure. Are you positive that your doing it right?
    1. First, place the cursor where you want to start. Actually, this shouldn't be necessary.
    2. Press & hold the Alt key.
    3. Depress the left mouse key & drag without releasing the key. (You can release the Alt key as long as you keep the left mouse depressed.)

I played around with the Tools/Options/Edit tab to see if a setting could affect this behavior, but couldn't find one. Sometimes it's like looking for a needle in a haystack.

e.g. put your cursor in the middle of a word without selecting anything. Now press Ctrl+B. Did the whole word turn bold, or just what you type after pressing. Turns out that behavior is affected by whether the Edit tab is set to "automatically select entire word..."

Some day it may just cure itself & you'll never know why.[img]/w3timages/icons/grin.gif[/img]

BAM

Hi Joe,

I've used the <Alt> vertical selection on WinNT so I doubt that is it.

I have ran into situations where an incorrect or corrupt keyboard driver is the cause of a malfunctioning key.

Another thought I have is did you try both of the <Alt> keys and do they both work with other keyboard shortcuts?
    ~~~~~~~~~
    Cheers!

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hi BAM,
    Thanks much for taking the time to comment on my problem. Yes, I did try both Alt keys w/o success however. Phil's alternate solution (Ctrl+Shift+F8), while a little bit more work does the job. Thanks again.
    Joe