Super Moderator
    Thanks

Limit on TransferSpreadsheet (Access 2000)

Earlier today I was getting an error when trying to export query results using docmd.transferSpreadsheet. The error was that I was exceeding the limit on the number of columns, although I only had about 18 cols (and about 100 rows). I got it to work by concatenating some fields into the same column, but I was puzzled that it happened. Now back on my own computer I don't get the problem and can happily put in lots more columns.
    Help doesn't say anything about a column limit. Might the limit depend on the memory available at the time? Is there a column limit?
    Regards
    John

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Limit on TransferSpreadsheet (Access 2000)

The only real limit I know of is the Excel limit of 256 columns (there is the limit of 255 characters per cell as well). Probably some sort of glitch on the PC you were temporarily working on.
    Wendell

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Thanks for that.
    I will hope that it is just a glitch that will go away. The problem was happening on a machine that it has to run on.
    Regards
    John

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I revisited this site today, and the problem had not gone away. The computer was quite happy to export the query results using Tools..Office links, byt not via code. I rebuilt the query from scratch but that didn't solve problem either.

When I got back to my computer, it was now giving the same problem as well! I rebuilt the query again here and all is now OK here.
    Regards
    John

Super Moderator
    Thanks

It almost sounds like you may have some sort of code corruption in the database - at least it's not a bug I know anything about. You've probably already checked this, but you might see if the problem machine has the latest SP, and in particular, the latest version of Jet 4 (SP6 I believe).
    Wendell