Star Lounger
    Thanks

Auto Update Dates (Office XP)

Hi,

I am recording in an Access Database accidents that occur in my workplace. Part of our review process is to look at all accident reports in 3 months to ensure that any reccomendations made to avoid future accidents happen have been enacted. Currently I am manually calculating a date three months from the accident date and have written a query and report to list all the review dates for a given month.

What i would like to be able to do is automatically add 3 months onto the accident date and put this data into my review date data field.

Is there a simple way to do this???

Thanks...Peter

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Auto Update Dates (Office XP)

Use the DateAdd function for this.

If you want to calculate the review date in a query, create a calculated field:
    ReviewDate: DateAdd("m",3,[AccidentDate])
    You must replace AccidentDate by the name of the field that stores the accident date.

Note: if the accident date is August 31, the review date returned by DateAdd will be November 30, since November has only 30 days.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi,

Thanks for that, it is a great help- is there a way to do this on my data entry form as well or instead of using an update query?

Thanks...Peter

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

There is no need to use an update query for this. As a general rule, don't store calculated information in a table - it's superfluous. (There are some exceptions, but I don't think this is one).

If you put the calculated field in a query, you can base your forms and reports on this query instead of on the table behind it. Then, you can have a text box on the form/report bound to the calculated field, and you can also refer to the calculated field when filtering data etc.

If you prefer, you can calculate the review date directly on a form or report, instead of in a query: put a text box on the form/report and set its Control Source to
    =DateAdd("m",3,[AccidentDate])
    where AccidentDate must be replaced by the actual field name you use.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for that.

Regards...Peter