3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Word 2002 Eats My Style Definitions (Word 2002, Windows 2000)

I've just run into something interesting. I have a document which I'm pretty sure was created in Word 2002. I wanted to make it look like our standard documentation, so I applied a selection from the Style Gallery. The template the selection was based on was created in Word 2000. I then applied the styles I wanted to the various paragraphs. So far, so good. It looked exactly as it should.

However, every time I close the document, exit Word, then reopen the document, the style definitions default back to those found in my normal.dot. Has anybody run into anything like this in 2002? Needless to say, it ever-so-slightly annoying. (Which explains the fact that the air has now turned blue in my office.) Thanks.

Lee Morgan

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Word 2002 Eats My Style Definitions (Word 2002, Windows 2000)

Hi Lee:
    I don't have 2002, but in Word 2000 (& earlier), you can reproduce that behavior by ticking Tools/Templates & Add-ins/Automatically update document styles. That copies the styles from the attached template to the document whenever you put a checkmark in the box or open the document (can't recall if they're updated upon save). Word 2002 may have other vagaries, however.
    Hope this helps.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Word 2002 Eats My Style Definitions (Word 2002, Windows 2000)

Phil -

That was it exactly. Thanks so much. I knew I had read about that recently, but couldn't remember where it was found. Somehow, I thought it would be related to Tools/Options or something like that. Thanks a million.

Lee Morgan