New Lounger
    Thanks

Copy stops at long filename (Home Version 5.1)

This is my first post but I've been a Woody reader for years.
    I just got XP and I have a problem I've had with older Windows as well.
    I backed up my old files (from a Win98 machine) onto a portable Hard Disk Drive using a program that copies the files uncompressed. You just use the copy command in Windows Explorer to copy files from the HDD to the new computer.
    The copy utility stops dead when it encounters a filename or folder name that's too long. It was a web page. I saved it successfully to my Win98 file system using Internet Explorer's "Save As" command. But copy stops dead.
    HERE'S MY QUESTION: Is there any way to prevent copy from stopping dead when it encounters a too-long filename? Or is there some other workaround?
    Anyone else have this problem? I couldn't find anything in the Microsoft Knowledge Base or here at the WOPR site.
    I will be forever indebted to anyone who can help with this!
    Thanks! -- Eric B.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Copy stops at long filename (Home Version 5.1)

If you have DOS driver for your portable hard drive, you can copy files from DOS session. All filenames will be converted to 8.3 format.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Copy stops at long filename (Home Version 5.1)

Sorry -- I didn't mean long as in 8.3 vs. longer than 8.3. I meant that copy works fine with, say, 50 or 60-character long filenames but apparently gags at filenames longer than (I'm guessing) 255 characters.

Is there a way to get copy to ignore them and just skip to the next file, rather than stopping dead completely?

Most of my file names for documents are longer than 8.3. Truncating them all would be a disaster for me!

-- Eric B.