Lounger
    Thanks

Pioneer 116 DVD and DMA (Wind XP HE)

Hi

I have a Pioneer 116 DVD reader and it is connect in PIO mode even though "Use DMA if availble " is selected.

Is there any way this drive can use DMA?

Thanks

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Pioneer 116 DVD and DMA (Wind XP HE)

Check your DVD drive PHYSICAL connection and jumper setting.
    Try to change to "master" or "slave" instead of "Cable select" and see if it solves your problem.

(Brief explanation: if you have two devices - hard drives, CD-ROMs, etc - on the same controller (flat ribbon cable), one of them has to have "master" setting (usually at the end of the cable), and the other "slave". Only "master" is bootable. If you have only one device on the ribbon cable, the setting suppose to be "master" or "standalone" (for some hard drives). Setting "cable select" (cs) lets your computer decide is it master or slave.)

Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Pioneer 116 DVD and DMA (Wind XP HE)

Hi

Thanks for the reply. I apologise for not replying earlier, but I have been busy with work.

I have looked at the connections. The CD ROM an Acer 16x burner was set to cable select. I set to Master. It is on its own (primary) IDE.

The DVD, a Pioneer 116, was set to Master and on it on (secondary) IDE channel. I left it as master but I did try the other connector on the IDE cable.

Both the IDE drivers for the CD ROM burner and the DVD are set to DMA if available, but both still are PIO.

Any one any suggestions?

Thanks