Lounger
    Thanks

Vlookup (Excel 97)

Hi all,

Hope someone can help me with this problem. I wanted to use a vlookup to match the formula value of the cell to the other cell and not matching cell value to cell value. Can this be done?

Thanks.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Vlookup (Excel 97)

I'm not sure what you are asking. The formula VALUE is the cell value. Are you trying to match the actual formula to a table of formulas? If so, then no you can not do that with VLOOKUP or any of the other functions. You would have to write a User Defined Function. If that is what you want, then give us some more details, like what you want returned when a match is found and when a match is not found, and we will try to help.
    Legare Coleman

Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Legare,

I don't want to match the actual formula. I want to match the value of the formula (ie. if formula was =a1+b1, and a1 = 1 and b1 = 1, then the value is 2 which is in column C) to a table of values( which is on column D ). If there is a match, I want the cell that is in column E to be input into the cell with the vlookup formula (which is in column F).

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

This is still a bit unclear, it sounds like you want to use VLOOKUP the standard way, and you need to set the OFFSET argument to VLOOKUP to return the table value. Does this help?

<table border=1><td></td><td align=center>A</td><td align=center>B</td><td align=center>C</td><td align=center>D</td><td align=center>E</td><td align=center valign=bottom>1</td><td align=right valign=bottom>1</td><td align=right valign=bottom>1</td><td align=right valign=bottom>1</td><td align=right valign=bottom>53</td><td align=right valign=bottom>=VLOOKUP(A1+B1,$C$1:$D$6,2)</td><tr><td align=center valign=bottom>2</td><td valign=bottom>
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

Thanks

I don't know about Legare, but I am so confused by this explanation, that my head is spinning.

Could you give us a sample spreadsheet with several items listed of what you want, and where you want to grab it from.

Steve

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

This sounds like a pretty standard VLOOKUP function. If the Formula =A1+B1 is in cell C1, and your table of values is in D1:E10, and you want an exact match in the table, then the following formula should do what you want:

<pre>=VLOOKUP(C1,D1:E10,2,FALSE)
    </pre>

If you could upload an example of your workbook, we might be able to better understand exactly what you are trying to do.
    Legare Coleman