Lounger
    Thanks

'finding' a file (Win XP, Office XP)

Just upgraded from Win 98 (Off2k) to above.
    When searching for a file, I used to be able to type in simply xxx and it would show any filename with those letters in it. Now I have to type *xxx*. Is there a simple setting I can alter? I can't believe Microsoft have reverted to having to use the old fashioned wildcards - takes much longer to type! Any suggestions?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: 'finding' a file (Win XP, Office XP)

<hr>...Now I have to type *xxx*. <hr>
    Am I reading you right to mean that you have to type in the dot (decimal)? Mine doesn't work that way. I just did a search on a drive with the letters "green" (no quotes) and it returned files with those letters in various positions in the name, such as greenfolder.icl and littlegreenfolder.zip

Tell me again what yours does if you just type in the letters?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I agree with Al. I also did a search with & with quotes & get the same results. You may want to click on advance features & see what your settings are.

Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry if I wasn't clear. Before, if I put simpy green then files with those letters (at the beginning, middle or end) would appear. Now to get the same result I have to add the asterixes at both ends like this *green*
    I guess it is a setting but where? I'm guessing its to do with Windows and not the software necause it happens in Word, Excel, Publisher etc as well as searching the whole disc using Find. Where are the "advanced settings"

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Veronica, There are a couple of search fixes in SP-1. You may want to consider installing that. Also, see this KB article
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...;EN-US;q319949&. I know the problem description is not what you have but it does tell you how to
    re-install the search companion.

hth,
    Joe
    Joe

Lounger
    Thanks

Again, I should have said, but I have already installed all the latest fixes, patches etc (Win SP1 and Office SP2)
    I'm sure its not me because I migrated 17 machines last week and they all have the same problem

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Interesting. It is probably one more argument to make "clean install" instead of upgrade. I upgraded many machines (most of them Compaqs) from NT to XP, and none of them has "power off on shut down" option working, but it is not a problem if clean XP installation performed.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Veronica, Take look at this: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...b;EN-US;Q309173. See method 2 under resolution. Also,check out:
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_abc.htm. Select the 'S" section and read the 'search' items.

Joe
    Joe