5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Security (97 and 2000)

I am following some instructions on how to setup security. I just want to set up security for one database. When you set up security does it affect Access in general? It sounds like when I open Access, security is set for all my databases. It doesn't matter which one I open - I am going to have a Logon dialog box. This is my first attempt at setting up security. Thanks for your help.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Security (97 and 2000)

Security settings are stored in two places: the rights users and groups have to specific database objects are stored in the database, but the information about users and groups themselves is stored in a workgroup file (*.mdw). There is always a workgroup file you use by default; if you haven't changed it explicitly, it is named System.mdw. If security has been set in your default workgroup file, it will apply to all databases.

If you want some databases to be secured, and others to be unsecured, you have to use different workgroup files.

Microsoft has a very useful document on Access security: ACC: Microsoft Access Security FAQ Available in Download Center. I would suggest that you download it to learn more about setting up security and using workgroup files.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Security (97 and 2000)

Don't set up security using the default workgroup. Use the Workgroup Administrator program to create a new workgroup file. You can then use the Workgroup Administrator program to choose the workgroup, which "sticks" (i.e. that will be the workgroup used until you change it back), or use the /wrkgrp option in a shortcut to just use the workgroup for a particular database (although it's fiddly to initially set up the shortcuts, I strongly recomment the latter option in order to avoid confusion when opening other databases). For instance, the target in one of my shortcuts is...

"C:Program FilesMicrosoft OfficeOfficeMsaccess.exe" "NatabasesAdverse EventsAdverse Events.mdb" /wrkgrp "NatabasesDataman.mdw"