Thread: AutoComplete

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

AutoComplete

I copied this tip from somewhere, but the first sentence doesn't seem to work in IE5.5. Does anyone know if there's a setting in IE5.5 to make it possible to delete individual auto complete URLs.

This is what I copied:
    >>You can simply highlight any "autocomplete" item and hit the delete key; or right click on any autocomplete item and select delete from the context menu. You also can erase all autocomplete entries at once by clicking to Tools/Internet Options/Content/ and then selecting "Autocomplete" and using the offered options to clear various kinds of saved information.<<

I can do the second part, no problem. However, if I try to delete or right click an entry in the drop down list, nothing happens. Any suggestions, or is the tip wrong?

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: AutoComplete

The select and using the "<font color=red>Delete</font color=red>" <font color=ff8c00>Button</font color=ff8c00> on the keyboard works for me.[img]/w3timages/icons/aflame.gif[/img]

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Dave:

I'm talking about the dropdown list on the Address bar; not the AutoComplete for forms & passwords. Can you delete an entry from the [i]address bar[/] in IE?

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Phil,

So far as I am aware, if clearing History doesn't do it then the only way to delete the Address Bar entries is to hack the Registry. See the MS KB article Q157729.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi John:

Thanks for doing the research. Actually, I know how to clear the history & it does work to remove the autocomplete entries in the address bar. The tip that I had read was unclear about which entries can be deleted individually (not enmasse).

It appears to me that the tip (from my first post) is correct when dealing with usernames & passwords. It seems that you can delete individual autocomplete entries without going to the registry. In fact, they are encrypted in the registry, so it's nigh impossible to know which ones you're deleting from the registry.

On the other hand, it seems to me that you can delete typed URLs (the kind you type in the address bar) individually only by going to the registry at

HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftInternet ExplorerTypedURLs

Finally, history also contains sites visited by clicking on links. It seems to me that these can't be deleted individually--it's all or nothing.

It's too bad. I like the autocomplete feature in Win98 in the Start/Run menu, but not for web sites. I like to use it for shortcuts that I put in the Windows or Windows/Command folder.

By the way, I'm not sure if you know this or not, but if you happen to save links to KB articles that you've found, you can shorten the links. You can delete everything after the ASP part of the link.

Cheers,

Thanks

>> You can delete everything after the ASP part of the link.

I did have someone report that they couldn't follow a KB link when I had entered it in full. I make a point now of doing exactly what you suggest.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Leif:

Actually, the full link should also work. But what happens is if someone is getting a digest & clicks on a link that wraps, they only get part of a link. That's when they don't work.

Cheers,

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Phil,

Thanks for the advice.