New Lounger
    Thanks

OE Scary Experience

Today I dialed up my server and downloaded my email using OE 5.5. I then browse through the list, looking at content via the preview window. I selected one item in the list and voila, it took over my screen, opening up IE 5.5 without the usual navigation buttons. Could only get rid of it by ctrl-alt-del and shutting down the instance of IE from the tasklist.

This is my first experience of an HTML document taking over rather than just displaying in the preview panel. Scary....
    I was running NAV and ZoneAlarm Pro, and nothing has appeared to be have happened to my system. However, I don't like it when programs don't function as expected.

If anyone is interested in looking at this beast, I can forward it.

Comments???? --LarryJ

Thanks

Re: OE Scary Experience

Sounds like you still let VBScript run in your mailer. If you want to avoid other surprises, you need to increase your OE security settings.

Step 1: change e-mail to Restricted Zone in Internet Options... Security tab.

Step 2: lock down all interactivity in the Restricted Zone, through IE if it isn't accessible through OE.

See <A target="_blank" HREF=http://members.nbci.com/jeffrospud/outlook/OL_secur.html>http://members.nbci.com/jeffrospud/o.../OL_secur.html</A> for an illustration (heavy graphics).

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks! Email was set to restricted Zone. However, IE Tools/Security/Restricted Zone/Custom still had Active Scripting enabled---which is apparently the default in IE 5.5. Not Any More!!! Now the email message HTML code opens IE Explorer, with buttons and all, but the IE Window is blank, and apparently does not load anything from anywhere.

Still don't like the behavior, but better than before!

--LarryJ

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Do a Search of the Forum 'Software Finds' for MoOutlook Security or Popcorn. Do you run a mail scanner such as VCatch or NAV?
    Of course you don't like that sort of behaviour by your messages : it's one way your system can get infected. Preview your mail and you'll be safe.

Oana Koran

What about eTrust from AV? (I'm asking you because I read on other posts you are recommending InnoculateIT). Are VCatch and/or NAV working with Outlook Express (Win 98)?

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

InoculateIt is an excellent virus scanner - the more so because for personal use it is free. I use it in conjunction with VCatch to scan incoming emails. NAV, I believe, does both jobs, but costs. I don't use it, but those I know who do, swear by it.
    I did not mention it previously in this context as the previewing of email before downloading is an even safer way of not letting rogue script run on your system; this and virus scanning are slightly different.
    If you want the full story, and are on a budget the full freeware suite I would recommend would be :

<center>
    <big>Freeware Safety Suite - Win98/2000</big></center>
    <center><table border=1></center><td bgcolor=#ef8d00><center>Program Name</center></td><td bgcolor=cyan><center>Function</td><td bgcolor=#ef8d00>InoculateIt</td><td bgcolor=cyan>Virus Scanner</td><td bgcolor=#ef8d00>VCatch</td><td bgcolor=cyan>e-mail Scanner</td><td bgcolor=ef8d00>MoOutlook Security</td><td bgcolor=cyan>e-mail previewer</td><td bgcolor=ef8d00>Zone Alarm</td><td bgcolor=cyan>Firewall</td><td bgcolor=ef8d00>AdAware</td><td bgcolor=cyan>Spyware Remover</td><td align=center bgcolor=green colspan=2><font color=yellow>Freeware</font color=yellow></td></table></center>

I can recommend these as I use them. I have no doubt there are other, equally good apps, even free ones. Try a selection, then Pick'n'Mix and, above all, be safe.

Rgds

Oana Koran

I used InoculateIt, MailWatcher (eTrust) and ContentInspection, all three from AV, but it was like trying to fly with chains so I deactivated ContentInspection (since I don't encourage attachments and anyway I can see the File Types). MailWatcher is still pretty cumbersome. That's why I wanted to know if there is any difference between it and VCatch.
    Thank you very much and I'm sorry for the late answer (I don't even know if this thread is still valid) but I was away.
    Regards,
    OanaK