New Lounger
    Thanks

XP Backup (Windows XP Pro Version 2002)

I'm trying to formulate a backup strategy for the small company I work for, and I'm finding Microsoft's description of its backup utility a little impenetrable, particularly as I

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: XP Backup (Windows XP Pro Version 2002)

First of all, I think that using the backup program that comes with Windows will EVENTUALLY leave you less than satisfied. MS has supplied a means, but that's about the extent of it. Secondly, my long-term experience with tape has always been FULL of problems so I'd personally advise against it. You already have the hard drive space available so I'd discard tape if I were you.

That said, here's an example of what I would do, were I in your shoes. As I said, since you have the drive space available, you could create folders for each day of the week and use something like Karen Kenworthy's Replicator. It's FREE. Use it to do nightly backups of stuff like documents, mail, bookmarks and whatever else you feel is "daily changing."

On a weekly basis, you ought to think about a hard drive imaging program, such as Drive Image or Ghost. There are other such imaging programs, if you do a web search. It'll require more space than we should take in this short recommendation to talk about HOW to get drive imaging accomplished when the destination machine is another on your LAN. But it can be done.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for your response. The reason I wanted to use tape as well as the hard drive backup was that we need to store backups of critical data off-site

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

A secure backup strategy requires backup to removable media.

An electrical problem could wipe out all drives, including a backup drive.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Also, you need not be restricted by Windoze XP's built-in Backup, you coulfd upgrade to BUMP (Back Up My PC), which is Veritas software, sold under other brand names, e.g., go to http://www.stompinc.com for the USA.

BUMP now has the capability of disaster recover from a floppy.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Ain't necessarily so, my friend! I have fairly inexpensive removable trays (I think they're called "racks") on all my hard drives. A person worried about your concern, which is a valid one by the way, no argument there, could insert a backup drive and then remove it to an offsite location. As inexpensive as hard drives are these days...... All that's required is: a plan and how many.

OK, I'll now remove myself and let someone help the author of this thread learn about the nuances of Windows backup, which is what he wanted in the first place. Sorry for getting off the track!

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Iain--
    You could do well with a combo of Drive Image and Retrospect Backup which would work well for you setup, and allow you to easily decide how long ago and what to backup. Off site wouldn't be a problem, because you could store your CD's or DVD's somewhere else or make duplicate copies and keep one set one place and one set off site.

I know that Ghost 2003 now supports NTFS, but these would be good choices for you; easy to use, and not too expensive. FWIW Microsoft endorsed Retrospect on their Software catalogue site here.

defrag

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks to everybody for their suggestions. I'm going away to rest my head for a bit & then I'll take a serious look at third-party backup packages.