Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Add-ins & MRU in Word 2000

I've noticed two problems that I've had with my Word 2000.

1. The first problem is that when my MRU list (on the file menu) gets to 8 (sometimes 7), it doesn't save new entries. The old entries seem to stay there. The only way I can change this is to go to Tools/General & changed the MRU to zero, then restart Word. Then I can change it back to 9 & it starts saving.

2. The other problem is that if I go to Tools/Template & Add-ins, & want to add a template, it doesn't stick when I quit Word. By "doesn't stick", I don't mean it doesn't load--it's not supposed to load if it's not in the startup folder. I mean it doesn't appear on the list of add-ins.

The reason I put these two problems together is that they seem to be related. The add-ins don't stick when the MRU is full (or close to full). If I set the MRU to zero & restart Word, the add-ins stay in that box.

It might be a corrupt Data key. Has anyone else had these problems & can anyone shed any light on this?

BAM

Re: Add-ins & MRU in Word 2000

Hi Phil,

These are both common signs of the Settings value of the Data key in the Registry becoming corrupt or it may already be corrupt. You might want to take a look at Tools/Options/Edit or the Track Changes tab to see if the options have shifted down and to the right, as this is the biggest indicator of the corrupt Registry value.

In the Registry drill down to:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftOffice9.0WordDat a

and rename the Settings value so Word will rebuild it. You can delete it as well, but I always like to rename this one and delete it after I'm sure since it holds so much of your custom settings.

Not only does it hold your MRU list and Add-Ins, but your AutoCorrect dialog box options, most of the Tools/Options info, etc.

Of course you will of course need to add your Add-Ins again and rebuild your MRU list to verify if this is the cause.
    ~~~~~~~~~
    Cheers!

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Bam:

Thanks for the information. I've really been delaying trying to rebuild the data key because of all my settings. I've used the Save My Settings Wizard in the past. I'm wondering if I rename the Data key & then use the "Save my Settings" to restore my customizations. Do you think that will add corruption back in (assuming it was corrupt in the first place)?

By the way, the Edit & Track Changes dialog boxes look fine.

Thanks again.

BAM

Hi Phil,

I would think that if you rebuild the Settings value of the Data key and then restore it from the Save my Settings, if it was corrupt then it will be corrupt again, or will soon corrupt. But then again, it could depend on when you saved your settings last.

I really don

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, BAM. I agree that I should rename & rebuild it. I suppose it's really not that bad. I'm just not looking forward to it.

BAM

Hi Phil,

At first I was a little cautious myself, but I've gotten to the point that I don't even take a deep breath and flinch anymore! <Big Grin>
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    Cheers!