Star Lounger
    Thanks

Access Usage As Knowledgebase? (XP)

I'm trying to create a knowledgebase out of some of my emails (>30k messages) and am not experienced enough to evaluate the suitablility of Access in trying to create a knowledgebase from them.

I'd like to store the message text and then have the ability to type in keywords with "and", "or", etc. and have a list of messages that contain those words pop up in a list box very quickly.

Whadya, think?

TIA

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Access Usage As Knowledgebase? (XP)

You'll probably get some very good advice from more knowledgeable members of this forum--goodness knows I'm not the guy you're looking for! I usually come here desperate for help, and I get it in abundance! But, FWIW, let me suggest you look for a book called "Instant Access Databases." Sorry, I can't recall the author's name, and I don't have the book in front of me. But I believe the book has an example or two that you can adapt to your needs. For example, there's one sample of using Access to manage a help desk--I think that might be a good one to start with. Any on-line book vendor (Amazon, Books-a-Billion) can surely find this tome for you. (Retail: about $40, if it's worth that much to you!)

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

That shouldn't be too hard to do. In fact, the CodeLibrarian that came with the Office 2000 developer's edition was built on an Access database. They got fancier in the XP version, but the basic principles are the same. You'd need to copy and paste the message itself into a memo field, assign a unique ID to the message (do yourself a favor and use an autonumber), and create another table where you could store each "keyword" record along with the message ID to link them. You might want a table of unique keywords so that you don't have to keep typing them in, and you would need an interface to allow you to add new keywords and assign them to a message.

If you happen to have the XP developer's edition, I'd suggest you just use the CodeLibrarian and not bother to build your own.
    Charlotte

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Charlotte! I think I have the XP developer's edition so I'll look at the CodeLibrarian...

dingo