Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Making it smaller

I have an workbook that contains over 370 pages that I distribute to 75 users. You can imagine the size of the file. Just saving the file takes a while! For the most part - only the screen portion of a page is used. Example: I just use the range A1:Z50. If I could elimnate the unused parts of the sheets it would surely reduce the size of the file??
    - Ricky

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Making it smaller

Am I correct? Can I eliminate the vast unused area of ther sheets and reduce the file size in the process? If so, how?
    - Ricky

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

It is difficult to advise on this one without more details of the sheet.

Do you mean you have 370 worksheets, and are the "unused" parts of the sheets empty, or just not viewed ?. Do you use 370 ranges from A1:Z50 ?

You cannot remove unused rows or columns. You could ensure that the empty cells have minimal impact on file size by making sure they are clear of all unnecessary value and formatting.

Regards,

Andrew C

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, I have 370 worksheets within the workbook. Actually more... There is a seperate worksheet for every day of the year where the user will enter 15 - 20 numbers (sales, taxes, voids, etc.) The other worksheets simply compile this information into useable weekly and monthly reports.
    The viewable area of the worksheet is all I use to make it easier for the end-user. The unviewed portion of the worksheet is not used at all, no formulas, nothing. I was hoping there would be a way to eliminate this huge amount of unused real estate and reduce the entire file size in the process.
    - Ricky

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Ricky,

Would it be possible, rather that using one worksheet per day, to use just one for the year, with a row allocated for each day - that's just 365 rows. It could be structured a database and populated with the help of a Data Form.

It is just an idea but worth exploring, if agreeable to you.

regards,
    Andrew

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Even better is to structure the data as a Pivot List and generate a Pivot Table to each user. File Size will be immensely smaller, giving much more utility.