New Lounger
    Thanks

Silent modem, etc....

Please confirm my suspicion or paranoia......Sometimes when I walk by my computer, it's churning away like it's very busy.
    I click Ctrl/Alt/delete to see what's going on..........only thing shown is Systray and Explorer.
    So, what the heck is going on? It shouldn't be "catching up" four hours later than when I used it, right?
    Is there a silent modem doing some creepy deed that I can't find out about????
    Or, do I have too much time on my hands???
    I know it's silly, but, I hate Microsoft and would suspect them of just about anything.

Thanks

Re: Silent modem, etc....

Do you have Fast Find set in Office?
    (I think there is an icon for it to launch the settings in the Control Panel.)

New Lounger
    Thanks

No, I don't have Word or any of the four discs that came with Win98SE. I do a lot of graphics, and didn't want to clutter up the machine
    with stuff I wouldn't use. Actually, I have 512MB ram, and 8 gbs CD, and very few "regular" programs installed to keep the
    space available for 3D graphics, etc. That's why I'm confused by this "grinding" when there's really nothing going on.
    It's a single, non-networked computer owned by a ritired old guy....me - it should be sitting silently when I'm not using it.
    Maybe I should just turn if off??

Thanks

Any anti-virus software installed?
    Does it happen at roughly the same period after you stopped using the pc? and/or at the same time of day?
    Have you done a chkdsk and/or defrag recently?
    Do you have any hibernate and/or standby settings?

If you really suspect a modem connection, can you disconnect it and see if that has any effect?

If you are using the PC daily, I am (one of those who is) in favour of always leaving the pc running - just switch your monitor off.

New Lounger
    Thanks

I have eTrust anti-virus, but you have to click on it to get updates - so, I guess you'd call it "benign".
    I don't have any stuff scheduled to happen automatically
    I just did a scandisk, but that was manual also
    The modem is built-in - - is there a way to disable that with settings?
    We're in a terrific power shortage here, and have been asked to switch everything not in use off, and
    not use most appliances until after 7PM to conserve energy, so when that's done, I guess I could
    consider letting it run all the time.
    Would appreciate help with modem settings, if there are such things - and thanks for all the help so far. You guys are great.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

In addition to what Leif mentioned, you can also check task scheduler & see what is set to start. There are some utilities that may be scheduled to start after Windows has been idle for awhile (e.g. Scandisk). Others may be set daily (e.g. Windows critical update) or periodically (e.g. Disk Cleanup).

In addition, it could be the swap file shrinking. I created a fixed sized swap file, so this doesn't happen to me any more. If you don't, it grows & shrinks according to demands placed on it.
    Cheers,

Super Moderator
    Thanks

You stated "The modem is built-in - - is there a way to disable that with settings?
    We're in a terrific power shortage here, and have been asked to switch everything not in use off, and
    not use most appliances until after 7PM to conserve energy, so when that's done, I guess I could
    consider letting it run all the time."

Since the modem is inside your computer, you can NOT turn off the power. Besides, the modem uses only a few volts of DC power, and your power supply is what draws the AC power and runs at a steady rate.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

New Lounger
    Thanks

HI
    I think that may be it - I have disabled all the "automatic scheduled" stuff I could find (I think I got all of it) because I'm running basically
    one or two graphic programs and none of the microsoft stuff for offices, etc. that came with the machine. I do scandisk and defrag on my own,
    and even the anti-virus updates are done when I say so - nothing in this machine is automatic.
    That shrinking and expanding file you talked about sounds like the only other possibility, so I'll see if I can set the swap file to stop it.
    Thanks for all the responses and help. How do you people learn all this stuff!!??? awesome.