5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

security (Access 97 or 2000)

Herre I am again - this security thing has me in a tizzy. The more I read, the more I don't want to do it. The database that I want to secure, will be getting an imported file on a daily basis. Does security interfere with importing a text file that automatically updates a table?

I am still waiting for someone to let me know if we will be using Access 97 or Access 2000. I have both which is also a problem. I would like to switch to Access 2000 and convert my Access 97 databases to 2000 and start creating new databases in 2000. I don't want to setup a new database - security and all - and then have to convert it to 2000.

Thanks for your help in advance. I have read the "Frequently asked Questions About Microsoft Access Security " and still feel unsure about setting up security. I am afraid I am going to have a mess and won't know how to get out of it.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: security (Access 97 or 2000)

It's not that bad once you've done it a couple of times. But first you need to determine why you want to use security - the answer will determine how you go about implementing it. For example, one common use of security is to simply track who did what to whom using the CurrentUser() function. A second use is to prevent a group or groups of users from modifying data, though they can read it. A third is preventing selected users from viewing certain sensitive data. And finally, you may want to lock it down so that only you can make design changes, read code, etc. So lay out your objectives and you may discover that all you need to do is create user logins and put a password on the Admin account (if you simply want to track who did what). On the other hand, if you really want to nail it down, simply use the security wizard, and practice on a copy of your database until you feel pretty comfortable with it. You might also want to look at one of the tutorial textbooks on Access - Using Access XXXX or Alison Balter's book. The Access Developers Handbook has a more indepth look at security and how you can manage it programatically. Hope this is useful.
    Wendell

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Security won't interfere with importing a text file since (from Access's point of view) text files don't have security. If you were importing from one database into another, security could cause problems (depending on how it's set up in both databases).

When you convert from Access 97 to 2000, all the security settings get moved over too, with the exception of security on modules which is no longer set the same way as the rest of Access. You don't need to convert the workgroup file - I have a number of databases which used to be in Access 97 and are now in Access 2000 and I haven't bothered to convert their common workgroup file.

If you have a mixed community of Access 97 and 2000 users, leave the backend in Access 97 format (assuming you have split your database into a frontend and a backend, which you definitely should) and have two versions of the frontend - one in A97 and one in A2000. However, if this is the case, strongly "encourage" the holdouts to convert to A2000 - things will be more stable and run faster.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I was going to split the database into a front end and a back end but I don't want to put the front end on the individual users pcs. I want them to share the same front end by putting the front end on the network drive too. I don't want them to be able to run their own reports or forms etc. All that I have read says to put the front end on the individual PCs.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

You could use two separate FEs located on the server, one a 2000 version and the other 97. The drawback is going to be performance when they are located on the server. Putting them on the workstations should give you a nice performance boost. On the other hand, as you make design changes you will then have to update each workstation and that can be a pain. Note however, that in 2000 you can't really make any substantive design changes (other than queries) without having exclusive access. That basically drove us to always putting the FE on the workstation, and developing a solution to make it almost painless.
    Wendell