Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Wilcards in Word

I find that Word fails to Find the text if ANY wildcard is used when the target text is in a field.

For example, if the field result is

time

The text is not found in any case where the text is the result of a field and a wildcard is used for the following character.

For example, time^p finds the text when not using a wildcard, but time[!0] does not find the text when using a wildcard.

The implication is that Word is detecting the right-hand field bracket when using a wildcard.

Has anybody seen this documented anywhere?

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Wilcards in Word

I couldn't find anything in the KB or MSDN on this.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Howard:

I couldn't find anything in the KB either. I get the same result as you in both Word 2000 & Word 97. It will find "time" (w/o quotes) using the expression "time*" (no quotes).

However, with use wildcards ticked, Word won't find time in a field using either "time^013" or "time^p". (Of course, you can't use ^p with wildcards.)

I will let you know if I come up with anything.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

I'm not looking for "time" followed by the paragraph mark, actualy, I'm not really looking for "time" but am using that for expository reasons.

I'm looking for all occurences of strings that are not followed by particular characters. So "time[!0]" should not find "time0", but it should find, e.g., "time1" and "time" followed by a paragraph mark.

Since "time^p" is found when not using wildcards, but the same string is not found using, say, "time[!0]", when "time is the result of a field, it's obvious that MSFT is using quite different search mechanism for wildcards and it is getting fooled by the right-hand field character.

I find it difficult to believe that MSFT does not already know about this.