Thread: IIS Help Files

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

IIS Help Files

When I try to review the IIS online documentation by typing either http://localhost/iishelp/ or http://mycomputername/iishelp/, I get a 'Page cannot be displayed' error message.

The help directory is sitting in c:winnthelpiishelp.
    Does the help directory actually have to be moved under c:inetpubwwwroot?

I am using W2KSP3 Professional and IIS 5.0 with the October 20 cumulative patch installed.

Thanks.

Thanks

Re: IIS Help Files

I think if it is not under wwwroot you need to create a path to it in the MMC management interface for IIS. But it's a hazy memory...

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

It's usually a virtual directory in IIS, and the files do not need to be under c:inetpubwwwroot. A virtual directory can use files in any folder (provided the permissions are correct). Two ways to check:

Less common, but since you've already gone this direction: Use Explorer to go to the help directory (iisHelp folder) you found, right-click the folder, select Properties, and check the Web Sharing tab. It should show that the folder is being shared as IISHelp. If not, I think you can enable sharing it as a web folder from here quite easily.

The more common way is to go in the other direction: Start > Programs > Administrative Tools > Internet Services Manager, and check to see if the Virtual Directory for IISHelp exists under the Default Web Site. If not, add a virtual directory and point it at the iis help folder.

HTH

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

The help is working now.

Thanks.